Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my name is andy. i have problems with D since i had my gall bladder removed. i was told that it could cause the same problems as IBS, but i was wondering if anyone new if it was the same thing or would i have to get treated different, or is there any treatments that work. i have taken lomodil, but no difference. i have been diagnosed with bi-polar, manic depression. i am off all meds now, but it seemed to get worse when i was on those meds for depression and anxiety. any info would be greatly appreciated on IBS, treatments for it or gall bladder removal.thanksandy------------------andymississippi[This message has been edited by andyj (edited 12-15-2000).]

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Andy - my D was a result of having the gall bladder removed about 3 years ago. Unlike you, my doctor did not prepare me for this. His post-op instructions included "eat anything you like." My roommate at the hosp was preparing to leave while I was waiting for surgery and her doctor told her to watch what she ate - stay away from the high fat, greasy foods. I should have listened to her doctor rather than my own. Anyway, the D started about 2 or 3 weeks post-op. First, I thought stomach flu, but when it continued, I went to my family doc. The only thing I could figure was the D had something to do with g/b surgery. Nah, said the doctor. It was only after I went back 2x more that he grudgingly admitted that I might be right and prescribed a low fat (no red meat) diet and some Lomotil.Take heart tho. Over the course of a year, I found the D and the urgency was starting to wane on its' own. I was down from several episodes a day to maybe one per day, usually in the evenings after supper. Still, D once a day was too much so I found this BB and started on the Caltrate. Has been working very well for me. I combine it with imodium once in a while when I was to be completely assured like while traveling. Do a search on Caltrate or calcium and read all of the threads. It might be something that works for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.