Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pam I have Hemmorroids, but am 36 years old. they told me after my colonoscopy that they are not to severe yet, so I should try to maintain them. I hope your sugery goes well. My mom had it done when she was 18 years old back in 1948. If she could get through it with that ancient time of medicine, you should have no problem.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hi Pam!I've had the surgery. I know how anxious you are, believe me. I hear they have a better way of doing it now than when I had mine done 20 years ago.
It's not fun, but necessary. Mine were so bad, I had no choice. Since then, I've had several smaller ones "banded" with great success. Is your IBS c or d? If it's C, and you have trouble "going" afterwards, take 1 or 2 Tbsp. of mineral oil, wash it down with some juice in the evening, before bedtime. The next day, you should be able to just let it "slip" out. I had to do that for a few weeks until the incision healed. It is somewhat painful to have a bm at first. I don't want to scare you, but you should be aware of it. If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask the nurse or the Doctor and tell them not to smooth it over---give you the facts straight. I hate to be told, "oh, you might have some discomfort"---when it hurts like h**l.Good luck. It's not fun, but you need to have it done. Hemorrhoids are not fun to have.Karen

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I had really bad internal hemmorhoids removed several years ago (Bad enough that they caused a fissure, or tear in the rectum, and prolapse.) Now I was pretty miserable, so much that the colo-rectal surgeon could not do a proper exam. He took me in for an anesthetized exam with plans to do corrective surgery if indicated, although it was pretty well understood that this was more likely than not. You are taken into the surgical suite, and instructed to lay on the surgery table on your stomach. You are anesthetized, but awake enough to respond, although you will probably not remember it. The table bends so you have your hiney in the air, and head and feet down. (rather embarrassing to think about, but the only way that they can do it, really.I am D type, so there was no problem for me of constipation, and I never did take the mineral oil or laxatives they sent me home with, and I cannot recall BMs being any more painful than they were before with the prolapsed rectum and fissure. I had a BM the same day as the surgery. The pain was a constant, and pretty unbearable once the anesthesia wore off, so take those pain pills BEFORE you start to hurt. My biggest problem was a bad reaction to the anesthesia. I could not keep food, liquid, or the pain pills down! (And my bladder shut down. I simply could not urinate) I ended up back in the hospital that night for injections of pain meds, and went home the next day with a settled stomach, but still wearing a catheter. The pain was MUCH less the next day. It took several weeks to feel ok again, and I will never have a perfect a**hole, but as normal as can be expected. Good luck with the surgery, and KNOW that it will get better, and you will be SO glad you did it. Maggie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.