Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,just posted about a week ago that I had an emptying scan done which showed that it took over 900 minutes for my stomach to empty. The county hospital where I lived did it, so I sent it to a more reputable doctor. He told me that it seemed extremely abnormal and wanted me to take the test again, this time with just eggs no hashbrowns that they put in it (because of the fat). Anyways, he also mentioned about doing an gastrography on me before the doing the emptying scan. Can someone please give me more info on gastrography?..I tried on the internet, but I haven't found any info really on it.....Thanks

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:this time with just eggs no hashbrowns that they put in it (because of the fat).
I agree that it should just consist of an egg sandwich (bread and egg). However, there is no way even a stick of butter would delay it that long. The result is hard to believe, so it I am guessing it is wrong.
quote:Can someone please give me more info on gastrography?
It is essentially an EKG of the stomach. The normal stomach contracts in a particular way and this test monitors that.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:this time with just eggs no hashbrowns that they put in it (because of the fat).
I agree that it should just consist of an egg sandwich (bread and egg). However, there is no way even a stick of butter would delay it that long. The result is hard to believe, so it I am guessing it is wrong.
quote:Can someone please give me more info on gastrography?
It is essentially an EKG of the stomach. The normal stomach contracts in a particular way and this test monitors that.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Normally the stomach has an underlying "heartbeat" of about 3 "beats" per minute. In gastroparesis, the rate is out of whack. It could be slow (bradygastria) or faster (tachygastria; but the motions are not coordinated) and delayed emptying results. The test will show the rhythm.The implanted pacemaker is probably most promisiing therapy for this.In addition, the top portion of the stomach relaxes as one eats (receptive relaxation). The test can tell if this is happening properly. If it is not, eating a big meal should make you feel terrible. A drug like bethanechol might help with that.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Normally the stomach has an underlying "heartbeat" of about 3 "beats" per minute. In gastroparesis, the rate is out of whack. It could be slow (bradygastria) or faster (tachygastria; but the motions are not coordinated) and delayed emptying results. The test will show the rhythm.The implanted pacemaker is probably most promisiing therapy for this.In addition, the top portion of the stomach relaxes as one eats (receptive relaxation). The test can tell if this is happening properly. If it is not, eating a big meal should make you feel terrible. A drug like bethanechol might help with that.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.