Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,Unfortunately my first post on this forum will not be one of 100% advice, as I have a dilemma to solve. The advice I need help on is more related to a persistent anal itch (over 1 year now).I have had IBS for the last 5 years or so, and recently I have had some pretty decent breakthroughs by taking a variety of herbal supplements.Recently I have gone back to the angle of taking Fibre supplements; I started off with Psyllium and Metamucil and found that it made my intestines go crazy. Lots of wind, cramping and pain. I then switched to Benefiber and from what I can see in using it so far, it seems to be great for IBS.Now getting back on topic, my anal itch. I have found that the cause of this itch is the stools not breaking off cleaning after I go to the toilet, it seems there is a decent amount that doesn’t escape from the rectum and it slowly leaks back out and aggravates the skin.In my head I know how to fix it, and ive seen evidence of it. If I can get the stool to be very solid (almost hard maybe) but yet slippery and smooth, it will make its way out with no left over stool and as a result, no itch!From what I've seen of Benefibre it doesn't give the stool this desired consistency. Instead it gives it more bulk, but makes it very soft and prone to breaking easily. Psyllium husks DO give the consistency I'm after, but as I've said above, seem to be no good. Does anyone out there have any ideas to get the stool consistency I’m after?Thanks heaps!

·
Registered
506 Posts
My suggestion would be to try taking ground flax seed. I find it helps with improving consistency. You can buy it in a bulk foods section (you need to grind it up in a coffee grinder or something similar). You can also buy Fiber Smart, which contains it. Start with about 1 tsp mixed with water to give it a try.Best of luck finding something that helps.Linda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Flax Seed Linda, I'll chase some down and give it a shot.Karma, I'm itchy all the time actually. It's basically worse if I dont have a successful toilet trip, then maybe 1 hour after it will start to burn/itch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was thinking it could be parasites but usually that cause itching at night. Try Garden of Life Primal Defense and Super Seed, they're awesome. The super seed is a fiber but it doesn't contain psyllium, it's just ground up seeds. The Primal defense I noticed makes it alot easier to go to the bathroom, you're in and then out in like 2 min. That's what seemed to work best for me, also Triphala seems to help alot. It's supposed to help retrain the muscles in your bowel, so eventually you don't need it anymore. Those three are a great combo.

G

·
Hey. I was recently diagnosed as IBS-C and had the same problem you do. What worked for me was avoiding dairy and red meat and also taking digestive advantage IBS. I don't take any soluble fiber supplements because they seem to make it worse.Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try Citrucil. I usually have it at night right before bed, and it takes some getting used to. Kind of like drinking really thin jello. No gas and I have successful BM in about 10-12 hours. In fact i was almost out so i put it on our shopping list. My husband went and bought Metimucil instead...I do not like it. NOt only do i feel like i have to chew it, but it makes me have painful gas. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.