Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have only been diagonised with IBS in the last month following a long and lengthy battle with my doctor to get him to actually listen to me.He advised me to keep a food journal and note down what i eat and feel ect and perscribed me anti-depressents for the pain (i have seen on a lot of websites that this can help and to be fair it has most of the time)The dotor told me I should start to notice a pattern after a couple of weeks but to be honest I'm not seeing any diffrences if any thing I have been even worst this month spending a whole day in bed with d&v and another day feeling so wretched that I nearly curled up in the toilets at work to cry because I felt that bad.He said to not make to many dastric changes in my diet straight away until I knew what was my "triggers". I thought getting diagonised was the hard part but now i just feel lost. Can anyone give me some advice I really am at a lose end

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi Faith,Welcome to the site. No, getting a diagnosis doesn't necessarily give you any answers on how to deal with IBS. No two people seem to have the same symptoms, or the same treatments that help them, or the same trigger foods, etc. But, there is a ton of information for you on this site throughout the forums. I suggest you start reading. Try doing a search - at the top of the page - on "food journal" and start with those threads. It actually sounds like you have a very enlightened doctor if he's even suggested that you keep a food journal. Most doctors poo-poo food being an IBS trigger, so your doctor sounds like a keeper. A food journal can help many, but not all IBSers. Some will find, after keeping a food journal for a few weeks to a month, a pattern of foods they eat and symptoms they have. But, there are also those IBSers who find absolutely no relationship between food and their IBS symptoms. Stress is a big trigger for many. So, learning some relaxation techniques can be very helpful. Yoga, meditation, walking, rhythmic breathing can all be very helpful. I'm sorry there is no easy answer for this. But, you've come to the right place and I suggest you dive you in and start searching and reading. Best,Elizabeth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thank you both for your replies.I started drinking probiotics but have fallen out of the habit as I really didn't like them but i have noticed a lot of people talking about the benifits of them I guess it is just me getting use to them and forcing myself to take them.I will keep on with the food journal I am due to see the doctor in a couple of days as I had to make an urgent appointment as I noticed some bleeding yesterday (sorry if tmi) and today I am in so much pain I can't get comfy at all and stomach is so bloated I look at least 3-4 pregnant lolI will look into the stress aspect as I had a very bad year last year and this has all come afterwards so might be a good place to start.Bonzi I haven't had any test's yet is there any that I should be looking into?Once again thanks I am so pleased I discovered this site and I will take your advice Ellizabeth

·
Registered
205 Posts
You could have your doc start with some simple tests like Celiac, to see if you have any wheat or gluten allergies. You'd be suprised how many things have gluten in it that your not aware of.The bleeding could be from hemmorhoids, fissures,etc. If you have diverticulitis or ulcerative colitis, it could be from that as well. Your doc can start a simple workup, CBC and other fecal tests to rule out anemia. From there it will vary on how severe your symptoms are. Most of what you posted is consistant with IBS. Have your doc be a little more aggressive with his diagnosis so your not having to deal with a problem that could be fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bonzi I've printed off some stuff including what you mentioned above to take with me tomorrow and my bf is coming to for moral support as I know the second I'm in there i'll either a) forget everything or
just go with whatever is said lolThanks again for all your help

·
Registered
982 Posts
Before you go for your appt. write down your symptoms, questions, and anything else you want to ask you doctor. Don't just go in and expect you'll remember everything you wanted to talk about when then. It just doesn't work. And, if you can put your symptoms in an easy-to-read, bulleted format on about half a piece of paper it makes it a lot easier for the doctor to actually see and read through what you're problems are. Make 2 copies, keep one for yourself to refer to and give the other to the doctor when he/she comes into the room. Don't give it to the receptionist or nurse as they'll just stick it in your chart and the doctor may or may not see it. Then, make another list with your questions and just go down them one-by-one when you're with the doctor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for all your help went to my doctor and saw a different one from last time (always worrying when you have only just been diagnosed) but she was great agreed that from the notes my doctor had put on my file last time I have definately got worst so she is sending me for full panel blood test and refering me for a colonscopy (sorry my spelling isn't great lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.