Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 30 years old and suffer from what I believe is IBS. My mother has it as well but with no constipation. I actually haven't seen a doctor about it yet. I plan to soon since the symptoms seem to have gotten worse. The symptoms as they were for a long time were constipation, sometimes for a week or more at a time then suddenly stomache cramps and the big D. Then from time to time I would have good week with regular BM's almost daily and then suddenly back to constipation. Then the big D again. Then it might go back and forth between the constipation and diarrhea with no normal good weeks between. I stopped drinking milk about 7 months ago or so and began drinking soy milk with hopes of some sort of results. The problem persists though I am still drinking the soy. I never have noticed blood when I go other then the one time in my life when I had hemmorhoids (probably due to straining) but that cleared up in about a month or so and have never had it since. I no longer have good weeks and when I do finally go it is always D. Sometimes I take a laxative if the constipation goes to long just to clean myself out. I have increased my water intake in recent months but it almost seems to have made the constipation worse. I have over the years had the black tarry BM's. Primarily though its constipation and then sudden diarrhea. I eat raisin bran and bran cereals in the morning now but I'm guessing I only get about 10 grams a fiber a day. I am not much for salad but I eat very little red meat. I love grilled chicken though and turkey. Oh I do use immodium but only when I get the feeling it might be doomsday. I almost developed a sixth sense when its gonna hit. Normally I try not to take medications unless really necessary. I haven't been really ill in years except for minor colds. Haven't had Flu in many years. Can't remember the last time I ran a fever, though sometimes when I have constipated I get what a woman might call hot flashes. Also I always feel rundown. I am 5' 11" ft 160 lbs but thats after an episode of the big D. I seem to drop 5 lbs after that runs its course :)Thanks in advanceAdam

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi Adam! Gee, sounds like you've been thru the mill. It sounds like IBS, but without testing you'll probably never really know for sure. And I don't know about the black tarry stools... If it were me I would find a good gastroenterologist and have a colonoscopy done. At least you will know what you are, and aren't, dealing with. I've had IBS (D and lower right sided pain) for about 20 years now (I'm 43), but haven't encountered the black stools, or the constipation. But, I think the black stools should be checked out by your doctor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi you should check with a doctor, black stools sometimes are due to high iron intake through food or may be if you are taking vitamins which includes iron.It is always better to check with your doctor to know for sure what it is .Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Adamyou certainly sound like you have had a rough time of it recently !The best advice I can give you is to go and get it checked out by a Dr and get them to run through the usual test. not because I think its anything 'nasty' but to confirm that it is IBS and not something else - you could be suffering when you need not be ! The only way to confirm IBS is by eliminating everything else - then you can relax and try to find what triggers it off for you !The symptoms you mention all fit the 'bill' and the fact that you can fell an attack coming on - i am the same !Write down all your symptoms when you visit the Dr (or print your post !) and ask as many questions as you can !The details of the tests and how they are done is explained 'best' on ERIC's website - saves looking at all the medical jargon - the site is a must for new people - I learnt alot from it !Take Care and let us know how you are doing ------------------Worry never robs tomorrow of it's sorrow; it only saps today of it's strength"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Adam,Your story sure sounds familiar. It's much like the way I was years ago before I even knew I had IBS. Also the black, tarry stools are familiar to me. This can occur when you're having heavy C for days on end. I used some laxatives but they make your bowel lazy so I stopped it. Using immodium for your D on a regular basis is also not the way out. It immobilises your colon (hence the name)which in the end is not what you want. I tried a lot of things but stopped with everything because there is not really a cure. My IBS switched a year ago or so I'm off and on C and D now. With really severe C I only had good experiences with Aloe Vera juice, but taking this on a regular basis was also not beneficial (too often D).Go to your Dr and decribe all your syptoms and let him decide on a diagnosis. I would not opt immediately for a colonoscopy because it's not a very nice thing to undergo and might upset your colon further. I try to survive by eating healthy foods, excercising regularly and avoiding stress. Foodwise you seem to be doing well already.I also have (like you)hot flashes when I'm constipated and feeling rundown (or having brainfog) is also recognizable.Yeah man, sure sounds like IBS to me!!All the best, Pepe------------------Pepe from Holland sends regards C/D type[This message has been edited by Pepe (edited 08-17-2000).]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds like classic IBS, but it might not be...I would get checked because only a doctor will know for sure.As for what to do...try Mettamucil...it is a bulk forming laxative...so it will prevent C, and add bulk to prevent D when you do have a BM.Good luck, and keep in touch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam and PepeGuys, i would really suggest that a colonoscopy is a test that SHOULD be done ! Its benifits outway the down side of the prep and because most GI dr's put you to sleep now - you don't remeber a thing !like i said please read about the tests on ERICS web site Pepe - colonoscopy is very safe and effective and should not effect your bowel at all ! Take care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.