Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have areat trip with my family planned for mid-August, to the Mall of America. It will be about a 7 hour drive from here. I am looking forward to it, and I know I have time to plan stratigies for both the ride and being in the mall. I am mostly c but do have ocasional bouts with d. I have controlled the c somewhat with diet, but, am mostly concerned with the occasional d when being on this trip. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm traveling this week for 4 days, and you know what? I'm not too worried. I just have this hunch that this is going to be like happy treatment. You'll be so relaxed and comfortable. The IBS make just dissapear. Bring your meds just in case and maybe take them before you be away from the bathroom for any length of time. I'm going to see my twin sister who lives 3000 miles away and we talk on the phone almost daily. I haven't seen her for a about a year. I think I'll be fine. But I'll have my meds, and I'll bring my jogging shoes. We're going to VEGAS!!! No gambling of course. Just veg. and veg. some more!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kazzy3I too am planning a trip in mid August involving a 7 hour flight and then a 4 hour drive so have been developing some personal strategies. Maybe some of my ideas can help. I have alternating D/C but like you worry mainly about diarrhea. I plan to eat very carefully for the two days prior to leaving. For me that is all my safe foods. oatmeal, chicken, white bread and a few other things. I don't plan on eating anything but a chicken sandwich that day that I pack myself. Thats food. Medication may be difficult for you. I take Lomatil but Immodium works fine for others. I plan on taking a preventative dose the night and morning before I take off. I also have a prescription for Xanax just for the flight to handle the anxiety. a big trigger for me. I don't normally take these so will probably sleep the whole way. I also plan on taking a back pack with a change of clothes and some adult diapers. I also plan on wearing some. What I have done is try and imagine the worst case scenario and then do things to solve that problem. I can't think of anything else. I recently went on a trip that involved a 7 hour drive and then a 2 hour ferry trip and then another short ferry trip followed by a 1/2 hike to visit my daughter. I tried all these strategies and had no problems. I know it probably seems like overkill but hey whatever works. I have been homebound for many years because of IBS. At my worst I couldn't even grocery shop so if it gets you out of the house then go for it. I hope you have a great trip. I think its absolutely great that you are able to do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.