Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After ten years of big D following Gall Bladder surgery, I have now recovered physically but not mentally. My relief came not from the doctors who diagnosed me w/IBS, but from the many postingsI have read on this and other boards. The bile salt D I have is very different from IBS (and my heart goes out to those of you w/the real thing) and is now controlled w/Caltrate and Perdiam. However, I am psychologically attached to that person who was running to toilets and messing her pants for 10 years, and in spite of my new found continence, I am finding it hard to resume a normal life. Always lurking in the back of my mind is the possibility that I could go, now, two seconds from now (you know how it is). Any ideas on mental recovery from this? Thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
It took you ten years to get to where you are today so it is going to take a bit to retrain your brain to think of other things and not worry about finding a bathroom. It seems to me you have not been taking the calcium for too long so just take it one day at a time and the more you are successful trying things you would not do before the less you will think about the day of searhing for a bathroom and dealing with a mess to clean up. I know I had this for 23 years and stayed in the house as much as possible because of it but now after 2 plus years of freedom from the bathroom prison I can a the drop of a hat jump in the car and go. Before I had to plan days ahead for an outing I could not get out of. You know the story.It will happen for you just remain consistant with the calcium and you will be free of the anxiety soon.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
326 Posts
Herelam,I am also suffering with the afteraffects of gallbladder surgery and D. I've had IBS-D/C most of my life, but after my surgery I am totally severe D. The only thing that's helped is the Lotronex. I have not tried the Caltrate Plus D. If Lotronex does not come back, then I guess I will try that next. Also, would you mind telling me what Perdiem is? Thanks.Maria

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It does take a while to recover. If you are not making enough progress on your own you may want to look into Cog. Behav. Therapy or one of the home hypnotherapy tapes for IBS. They will help the mind get over it.It takes time and effort to retrain the thought patterns. When the thoughts come up you may want to remind yourself of what is true now.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
516 Posts
I understand what you are going through. I too struggle with it. What I seem to notice is that I gain confidence w/ each successful outing, etc. You have to venture out and know that you will be fine. If you do have to use the bathroom, just know that you'll make it okay. Even people who don't have IBS sometimes have an unexpected episode of an urgency. I haven't had my gallbladder removed but have had unpredictable "D" symptoms for 20 yrs. I can't allow myself to be confined to the house as I have 3 boys who are active and need to be driven places, etc. I think this is good for me to keep me on the go and forces me to face my fear head on! I still think about it and wish I could stop doing it....maybe some day I will. There is a good book called Breaking the Bonds of IBS and that has been helpful for this sort of thing. Real easy to understand and relate. Good Luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I totally agree with kmottus I drift into "IBS remission" a lot with occasional IBS/D. the anxiety remains for a long time without help. the relaxation (selfhypno) tapes I have used for several years relieve this anxiety without meds. Norb

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To Maria Z- Perdiam is a fiber supplement, I have posted info about it on the "Products, Info and Websites board."Thank you all for your support and suggestions. Has anyone ever tried Hypnosis? And, has it helped?

G

·
I agree with K,You might want to do some hypnotherapy or alternatively, some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Actually, since your situation is 'under control' it's just worry and anxiety you are dealing with, perhaps CBT is the better route.Perhaps you could post a question in the CBT/Hypno/Anxiety BB to Dr. Bolen, she may have some good advice for you.Ropes

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's always lurking in the back of my mind as well. Not quite spoiling my good time, but still there. I am also a post g/b surgery IBS sufferer & over the last 6 months or so, I've been doing really fantastic. But darn, if those thoughts aren't still there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.