Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've recently been diagnosed with ibs, my symptoms have been going on for a month and a bit.

The hardest effect I'm getting right now is I have no appetite. I never feel hungry, I feel full after eating a few bites, and because I'm heavily depressed I have no motivation to eat either. I had to be admitted to hospital because I was eating about 100 calories a day, and I didn't eat there for about 4 days. Right now on a good day I estimate I get about 900 calories.

I've had an endoscopy, ultrasound, and x-ray and they didn't find anything unusual. I'm on anti-depressents right now but they're not having much effect, but I have to wait another two weeks before the doctor will consider increasing the dose. I take medications for gut spasms but nothing for appetite.

I need to hear from people who've had this problem. I'd love to hear that someone has had this and recovered, gained their appetite and hunger back. And how long it took if so. Any tips of how to eat more or motivate myself to eat would be great. But mostly I just want to know I'm not alone, and that this won't be forever. Please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello HopelessMammal!

I can tell you about my experience. I've had two forms of lack of appetite.

The first was linked to depression. I wasn't eating much anymore but I had almost no abdominal pain (just some especially in the evening). I was thin to begin with, and ended up losing 9 kilograms. I was eating around 900 kcal too. I actually had anorexia. One day, I saw me naked in front of a mirror while stripping down before having a shower, and I suddenly realized this body was everything but sexy. I had a boyfriend and thought I had to change and be sexier for him. It's not a good thought, however it's the one that motivated me to eat more at first. Again, I took a path that wasn't good. I started to eat more sweet food, because it was the easiest one to digest for me (but definitively not the healthiest). Months after months, I started to stop seeing my food as kcal and naturally got back a "normal" diet (guess the anti depressants helped a lot). I've never been a big eater though, so it wasn't that much even then (but a solid 1500 kcal per day).

To be honest, seeing you talking about kcal makes me think that you may have eating disorders too, in addition to IBS.

The second was directly linked to IBS. Pain was so deeply strong that eating and drinking were exhausting and painful. This was much harder to deal with. I was at home all day and all my energy was to reach a goal that I fixed. For example : "today, drink one liter of water" or "today you'll eat that much of bread". So I had one sip, or one bite of something. Then resting for 10 to 20 minutes, then having an other sip or bite, then resting, etc. Because I was feeling full so quickly, I had to have dozens of micro meal per day. It's tiring because the stomach constantly has to work, so you can't do that forever, but it helped me not to lose too much weight. Little by little, I managed to eat a little bit more each time, so I could have 6 meals per day, and after a while, only 4. It took months. Today, I probably have an average amount of 1500 kcal per day again, if not more. Sometimes I don't feel like eating much, but I often manage to find something to eat that I can digest without suffering too much. It can be nice if you could find one or two types of food that are "safe" foods (means you can digest them pretty well no matter how you feel).

However, now, I couldn't go back to having all those tiny meals. My stomach now only allows meals at fixed hours. Anyway, listening to your body is quite important as always.

What I could say to you is not to put too much pressure on yourself. Those things take time. Be strong!

I'm available if you want to discuss about that more.

Have a nice day! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts