Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Hello and welcome
I was only diagnosed last year but it took me a long time to get a doc who would listen to me, finally i was sent for a colonoscopy and only then was i told i did infact have ibs..As well as having ibs i was diagnosed as having post traumatic stress, plus i have battled on and off with depression for over 30 years..I am now taking amatrip and effexor for depression, as well as recieving councelling, which has helped me a hellava lot..Are you on any meds for depression? If not it may be a good idea to see your doc and tell him/her how you are really feeling..I totally sympathise with you on both the ibs and depression, i feel with depression that it should be tackled as soon as is possible (mine was ignored for so many years) and that made my depression get so out of hand that some days i really felt i was losing my sanity..I really do urge you to see your doc about this, im not saying he/she will be bending over backwards to throw pills at you, but the 1st step of depression is seeking help with it and that the 1st step over.. good luck, let me know how you get on

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hear ya too, I was just diagnosed and I'm having a hard time explaining to work why I just can't come in. I'm getting sick of being stuck at home and not able to do anything I normally could. I always had small bouts of D or C, but never to this extreme. I'm not sleeping well and when I do it seems like it's just not enough. I can definetly sympathize.The Dr. is good about giving me notes for work, but it seems like I have to explain every little detail to everyone just to get a note sent and it's like everyone wants to know an exact date when I'll be back. Guess what - I'd like to know too ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there. I'm new here too and this is my first time posting. I can totally sympathise with you. My IBS has gotten me so down that sometimes I've wondered what's the point! It is such a restriction on my life that I can hardly do any normal things any more. Last night I was at an evening class I go to and I had a D attack and had to race out in the middle of class. So embarrassing and everyone asks "what's wrong?" Every time something like that happens I just get even more depressed about living with IBS. If only there was a magin pill!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Welcome everyone
You will find many kindred souls here - I was dx'd with IBS in 1988, but had symptoms since 1983 - when I came to this BB in 2000, I was nearly housebound - pain, D, and missing out on lots of stuff, having to race out of appointments, stores, meetings, many many times.There is no magic pill or bullet - there are lots of meds, diets, supplements, and treatments - I have been on almost all of them- you have to do what is right for your particular situation.Take a peek at the links below for what helped me when I first came to this BB - it is a coping method, and for many, good relief from IBS, but not for everyone.We are all here to help and let us know if you have any questions.. Take care and again welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello to all of the newbies, I am very glad for you that you found this site, I am also very sad that you HAD to find it.I would like to say a special hello to StacyR (a fellow Vermonter). I would like to think that you found this site and information on Mike's IBS Audio Program from one of the doctors that I have talked to about how much it has helped me. It would mean that there are still some doctors willing to think outside of the box and give you info that can help you even if it is outside of the medical norm.We are all here to help each other as much as we can.LaterRobby

·
Registered
62 Posts
Actually, I've found the site on my own, not much help from the Drs. I would love to know which one you see, I'm in northern VT and I'm also glad to see someone else from the area. I'm newly diagnosed as you've seen from my postings and I'm in the penpal group as well. My Drs have basically let me loose on my own and I'm having a lot of fun (sarcasm here) trying to get back to work and to a normal life.my email is sraine###aol.com - make sure you put something specific in the subject line though if you email me, I get a lot of spam!!!Stace

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HI and welcome. Yes I am depressed and tired all the time fornm this IBS too. Hate it But you will love it here with all the support and peeps who know how you feel and able to help.Hey Robby still waiting to see the pic of you and your RVKat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.