Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came from my doctors. He has schedualed 3 tests that I really need to know more about. Please excuse the spelling errorsColonscopic: I assume that is with the camera inserted but tell me what it feels like, how they prepare, anything you are willing to share.Colon biopsy: know nothing about The 3rd one I don't know the name but they stick a camera down your throat and inside the camera is "dye" to get a better look of your insides.If you have had these done PLEASE tell me about them. I don't know enough and talking to someone who has had it done would be helpful.I am terrified of hospitals, and a biopsy most likely means I have to go under right, well that is my second most fear. The more I know the better.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi
Try not to stress. These tests are pretty standard and just making sure you have IBS and not something more serious like Chrone's Disease or Ulceritive Colitis which can mask IBS symptoms but cause damage to the body inside.Okay, Colonoscopy-you will be given some laxative tablets and a heap of prep to drink which will make you eventually poop water (don't panic, it doesn't cause pain like when you have diarreah with IBS). The clean you out then you go to the hospital and they give you sedatives and use a tube thingy with a microscope in it (a colonoscope) to view the intestines and make sure there is no ulceration, bleeding or polyps (small growths which can lead to cancer in some people). A biopsy is done at the same time at various intervals to check under a microscope later for ulceration and bleeding, any polyps found will also be cut off (you can't feel it). Generally it is only a day procedure and you will be sent home once the sedative has worn off. Someone will have to drive you home though as you may be woozy.The other one I would think would be a gastroscopy, which is the same as the colonoscopy except they go through your mouth and down to the stomach to check for GERD (reflux) or make sure you don't have coeliac disease, they can also take biopsies this way. I'm not sure about the dye though, they don't generally use that for gastroscopies as far as I know. Hope this helps a bit and good luck!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They generally put people part way under for the scope tests anyway. They don't need to put you more under for the biopsy, they do that during the colonoscopy when they find places they think look like they need to be sampled.They use something called twilight sleep where they give you something to take away the pain and relax you and then something else that makes you forget what is happening. Basically you are concious enough that if they ask you to move or roll over you can respond but it doesn't really get to your concious mind what is going on.Most people find the prep to be the hardest part of the whole thing as you usually need to use an osmotic laxative that flushes everything out of the colon.K.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks you so much every information makes the procedure a lot less scary. And the fact that they won't be putting me right out makes me feel a whole lot better. I'm so glad I found this site, and the caring people on it.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what the tube down the throat with the camera and dye is called it's an ERCP. So I will look that up on the net.Or if anyone else has had this and wouldn't mind sharing there story, I would be grateful

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Eric, I didn't have to look far with the websites you posted. They had the entire procedure from start to finish. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYIERCP http://www.gicare.com/pated/epdgs20.htmI didn't have that test I had an upper endoscope. I went years ago to my doc and the er with severe pain and instead of giving me anything for the pain they wanted to test while I was in pain. That was hard as I couldn't sit still and was in major severe pain. But the test wasn't all that bad a little evasive going down the throat, but they numb the back of the throat and gag reflex. I survived it. Yeah LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had this done at the end of February. I had the colonoscopy, biopsy, and a small bowel exam on the same day. For me, the small bowel exam was to much to handle the same day as the colonoscopy. I did get very sick drinking the stuff they give you the day before the colonoscopy, but I believe it was because I was already dehydrated. As far as the colonoscopy, I was out. I remember the nurse telling me that she was fixing to give me some medicine to help me relax, and the next thing I knew I woke up in a different room and they were removing my IV. I didn't hurt or feel any pain after it was over. The small bowel test was drinking chalky stuff and them taking xrays. None of it was bad, but I had been put to sleep and hadn't had anything to eat or drink, and just didn't feel good to start with thats why I think it was just to much for one day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts