Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm 14, about 5 feet, and barely 70 pounds. Not good. Before you get too freaked out though, my highest ever was 76 so I was always a bit underweight, and then my last through months of flares have lost me some more. My GI doctor (who seems about as anti-ibsers as they get, but that's a different story) sent me to a nutritionist, and said he can't even give me any meds at my weight, because it's too dangerous. The nutritionist said unless I can eat enough to gain 3/4 a pound a week for a while, she wants to send me to a hospital. Of course, I'm in the middle of my biggest flare ever, and I don't see how I can do this. I've ALWAYS lost weight in flares - I just can't eat, and everything goes right through me!!! How do I do this???!!!! I'm already drinking two Enlives a day - they're these clear liquid high calorie supplements that are soooo gross but they're fat free so they don't trigger so much. I asked my doc if I could just have like 20 of those, and of course she said no. I've been forcing myself to eat, but the D and pain keep coming and I just can't take it much longer. I know other IBSers have trouble eating during flares. I've already eliminated all my triggers and am eating the most simplistic diet ever (what works for me). Now I just need some way to get more calories into it...I am really freaking out... I've already lost the ability to go to school, because I was running to the nurse too much and losing weight... I can't also have to go the hospital...

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
USE Imodium WITH your meals. Even half a pill would be fine for you. If you find you have some cramping with the imodium... use an anti-gas agent (like something with simethicone in it).And/Or>>Take some Calcium Carbonate.. Read the thread about it ("Linda's Calcium"), that is thumbtacked to the top of this Forum.And also.. EAT! :(And skip any strenous exercise for the time being.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice... I've tried calcium and immodium, but the thread had some good ideas. I've ordered some of the drinks and flax oil on it; hopefully my stomach will like it.I just feel like this is all my fault, but I just can't change my body... I keep thinking, "What if you could just tolerate the pain a little better? What if you had just weighed like ten pounds more to start so it wouldn't be such a big deal?" It doesn't help that I keep going to doctors who tell me it's basically in my head and if I just got used to eating I'd be fine.The doc keeps saying that it's good that I'm not in school now, because "you need to make getting healthy your priority." As if it's so healthy to do nothing all day but run to the bathroom and roll on the floor in pain. She also says it has to get worse before it gets better. Well, its gotten worse. I don't have a life. But why does she think it's going to get better? My GI doctor won't think about trying new meds when antidepressants didn't do it, to him it's in my head...Sorry for my depressed rants. I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I cannot understand.. Are you saying the imodium didn't even slow down your D??? How much did you try? When did you try it?? Have you tried WITH meals as prevention? And how long ago did you try it...?? If you are that desperate to stay out of the hosp & put some weight on.. I'd try them again if I were you.Just so you know.. anti-Depressants don't stop diarrhea.Also I found the more meals I skipped the more D & pain I would have too. So perhaps when you eat smaller meals more often you will indeed find you are havign less D.Have you been screened for an eating disorder? And if they think it is ALL in your head.. then why didn't they refer you to a therapist??If you are anxious about eating.. you may indeed need some therapy.And if you really don't like ANY of your Docs or Nutritionists.. talk to your parents about getting a second opinion from other Docs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i don't know how much control u have over the drs u c, but find someone who knows about adrenal fatigue & will treat it..........GAWD, i feel like i keep having to repeat this over & over again.........the adrenal hormones control spasms & when u have enough of them, in the right amounts, then u want to eat & can keep all things the way they r suppose to b........all the other things they talk about here r drugs that work on symptoms, that's not getting to the cause.........if u only work on symptoms, then u r not truly being helped & the situation will only get worse.........it might take awhile, but it does.......then u end up with something worse on top of the ibs & it can b life threatening...........i've had the not wanted to eat & having to force myself for over 6yrs.........it was so awful, sometimes i wouldn't eat anything for over 48hrs.........i know how bad this is for u, but the thought of putting food in my mouth & swallowing it, would make me nauseous......i've had adrenal fatigue for 8-1/2yrs.........i've ibs-d for about 6-7yrs.........it's all part of the same disease.........have u tried to take any licorice root DGL??.......it is a natural cortisone, which helps support the adrenals........when they r stressed, they r always over worked & u r always in the minus column........depending on how stressed ur adrenals r, it may b of some help..........& it may take more than just a couple of capsules.........if u want more info about this, read my other posts........u can also write to me, here........just click on my name.........chris..........

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry to hear u r not well i am 54 old enough to be ur mum lol exactly the same happened to me went down to 5 stone 8 at 1 point put me on 3 fortisip a day plus calogen it was awful an understatement told me it was stress. I thought u would be stressed as well if you had to deal with my life nuf said no use complaining have learnt with the help of counsellor to control that now somewhat but still have really bad days when pain is unbearable and everthing i eat hurts like hell. My only advice would be ask 4 a counsellor and take as many supplements as you can drink. Best of luck honey take care and i pray u r better in time 4 christmas learn to relax and enjoy life. I sometimes wish doctors could go through this then they may now what we have to endure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,Just joined yesterday. So keen to share my experience to help others. Was also loosing weight & becoming skeletal. Really scary & depressed/ill. I found a trial using arrowroot. Its a bland white powder used in cooking to thicken. The trial was very small, 11 people I think - you could probably google it under arrowroot trial/diarrheoa. I started it & next day a bit dissappointed as no immediate result, but very soon my gut started to calm, diarrheoa not as violet and muuuuch better! I now take it after each meal. I make it up as a batch - ie. 2 heaped teaspoons full, 3 x a day. So 6 heaped, into saucepan, make large mug of peppermint tea (or anything else you can tolerate) - mix arrowroot powder to a paste & then add the tea, bring to the boil, stir continually to prevent lumps, boil until clear & divide into 3 containers. Very soon, hopefully, you will notice a difference. I doubt it is a cure but it does make life so much better and at least you get a chance to absorb more of your nutrients from your food. This has truly given me my life back - really hope it helps you. Please let me know how you (or anyone gets on with it) Tried to tell my GP so he could pass it on but of course it hasn't been trialed by any great pharmaceutical company - after all it can already be bought in supermarkets (usually in home baking area) - even the local small shops may have it.This by the way has meant I don't need immodium (was just needing more & more) - rarely take codiene now. Also had a food intolerance test with York Test laboratories that which has been helpful to some degree (quite expensive though).All the best to you.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Recently I had a a bad flare. I have Ulcerative colitis not IBS. However....I put myself on an Elemental shake diet. Elemental diet are scientifical proven to induce remission. the shakes are very easy to digest and are 420 calories each. You just eat the shakes nothing else other than certian supplements to help.When the flare started I thought it would take weeks to go away. BUT.. in just 1 week on the elemental diet I was able to stop the severe flare and stop the weight loss. I stayed on the diet of 3 weeks and today everything is working great.I would highly recommend you order the book "listen to your gut" by Jini Patel Thompson. She has crohns and developed her own line of Elemental shakes and now live medication free.Here is the link to get the book.http://www.listen2yourgut.com/Here is what the shakes are...http://www.imixnaturals.com/absorb/productinfo.aspThey taste pretty good, kitchen clean up is very easy and you dont have to shop for groceries for a few weeks.Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice - I'm trying the elemental shakes as soon as they arrive - hope that works. Will try the arrowroot.Yes, I have a therapist. She actually does help me deal with the stress, even if she can't solve anything. I went to hypnotherapy, but it didn't help. I was probably just really bad at it. And I have been screened for an eating disorder, and the doctor told me he didn't think I had one - I just need to find a way to eat. I know that I'm anxious about food. I think anybody who is in agony for more than an hour after every time they eat would be. I know that I need to gain weight - I don't think my weight is healthy. But it's not as easy to just force food down your throat as you might think. Believe me, I am pretty freaked out about my weight too.About the immodium - it seems to not stop the diarrhea the day I take it. Then the next day I'm SUPER constipated. Then the next day I go back to my diarrhea. Maybe I was taking the wrong dose?...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Could be wrong dose or wrong way.I'd start with a low dose, once in the morning and once at night. Even if you don't think it is stopping anything stay on that dose for a few days (maybe 1/2 a tab to start) and see what happens over the course of 3-4 days.If you have as much diarrhea as always (or still more than you want to deal with) then try 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill in the evening.Often what happens is people take it only after the diarrehea starts and it takes awhile for the Imodium to take effect and then all it does is stop you up because it is mostly working only after you don't need it anymore. And then sometimes if it doesn't work in 5 minutes they then take another one and another one until the diarrhea stops on its own before the first pill really got going, but now they have way more than they need, when they do not need it, and get really constipated from that.So sometimes a regular dosing (either morning and night or 30 minutes before a meal) will get ahead of the diarrhea enough that it can stop the diarrhea without constipating things too much.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah hon for sure .. play around with the dosing of the imodium. I find, depending on how bad my D is, that I need only 1/2 a tab a day or 1/2 a tab with my largest meal or 1/2 tab with each meal or if it is wicked bad.... a whole tab.Glad you have cleared of a possible eating disorder and glad also that you do indeed have a therapist. SURE.. absolutely I know the hesistation & trepidation to eat so one can avoid pain.... I get it.. truly! So just tell yourself and your Docs that all you can do is your best.Just give the elemental shakes, arrowroot, etc a try and I bet in time.. you will be able to put something on.Just.. don't give up! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Lightening,Wondering how you are getting on - hopefully not as severe at mo. I saw a dietician soon after I lost so much weight & she put me on a liquid food suppliment, it was milk based & couldn't tolerate it. She changed it to a none dairy, soon couldn't tolerate that either. That was before discovering the benefit of REGULAR ARROWROOT treatment as I mentioned previously (can find the web link to the pilot study if you'd like it). I do carefully watch my diet but it is muuuuch better! Have you considered a food intolerance test - a lot of "whacky" ones around but I found the Yorktest one very helpful, the kit is sent to you, it just requires a finger prick as it is the blood that is tested, then send it back - tests about 113 foods I think. This is not cheap, but worth it in the long-run - obviously depends on your parents situation. Not sure if there is info on this website about "leaky gut syndrome" I think that contributes to ibs in a big way for some people (myself included).Good health to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.