Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a subforum about this, but most of the LGers dont seem to be visiting there so I thought I'd post it here. First off: Dr. Pimentel from Cedars-Sinai has a book out on the connection between bacterial overgrowth and IBS. Its called 'A New IBS Solution' and you can read more about it at www.anewibssolution.com. Check it out.Anyway, most of the posts on here I find veryy frustrating--they are about obscure extracts and product that are supposed to make the smell less obvious but never attack the root of the problem.EVERYBODY POSTING ON HERE SHOULD HAVE A LACTULOSE BREATH TEST FOR BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH.It is cheaper than a 3 month supply of probiotics and will give you some conclusive guidance. Also, it can distinguish between hydrogen or methane producing bacterial overgrowth, which may be important in your treatment. That said, I have tried Rifaximin and Augmentin and was on Flagyl years ago. None of these antibiotics really helped. But apparentely, Neomycin is supposed to be effective. I wonder if anyone in this forum has tried it. Obviously, if youre still posting here, it probably hasnt. But I would still like to hear from peoples experiences (however negative and disheartening they may be). Also, as a last recourse, Dr. Pimentel recommends the Vivonex protocol to starve the bacteria. I am seriously considering this alternative. I have posted here before about it, but have not heard back from anyone.Has anyone had a push enteroscopy where the Doctor sampled the jejunal fluid for bacterial cultures? Supposedly, this method is the gold standard for bacterial overgrowth diagnosis. I think those of you who have visits to GI's planned, should discuss the breath testing and the push enteroscopy (basically an endoscopy which goes further into the small intestine), along with antibiotics.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.