Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm having a good intestinal track day, my mental outlook is good. As soon as the cramps,lump in the throat and etc., begin..mentally I begin to lose my control. I start worring that there is something of a more serious nature wrong with me. It is so hard to control. Any advice? Also, do other experience pain up into your neck?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know exactly how you feel. I can start off having what I consider a good day, then--one cramp or stomach rumble and I am shot for the day.Can this be the mind gut connection that we hear so much about. I can be doing good for a couple of weeks, but each day I wait and think waiting for the other shoe to drop. Will this be my bad day? I know I am going to have one soon. What Insanity this is. I also have neck and upper back pain with dizziness--who knows if this is related to IBS-Why not- everything else is. I can't think of any other disease that effects your entire body with so many symptoms and yet, no doctor knows why nor can offer some sort of long term relief.I am starting to think I am bringing this on myself!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might be interested in reading the material on panic attacks at www.anxieties.com. I'm having dizziness and shakiness with this bout of GI upset. It's been lasting for the past 4 weeks. I found that an anti-anxiety med my doc gave me seemed to really make things quiet, in a good way, both gut and nervous system. The feeling about being out of control of the body is something that people can dread and therefore have anxiety about which can make the cycle even worse. I'm still learning about this stuff, but it's very interesting. If I can do things with my mind to get my body back into a happy place, I'm all for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean. I am find when I know that I am home and get to my bathroom if I need to. But when I know I have to go somewhere, I start thinking, "what if it hits me there, is there a bathroom close by?" So I think , I might bring alot on myself from fear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.... a few months ago. I was feeling really, really great & I woke up in the middle of the night & I decided to go and read--which I loved to do late at night. I fixed a light cup of tea, read for a 1/2 hr or so & was in a very mellow mood (hadn't eaten anything, nothing stressful going on in my life)I then got up & turned off the light to go upstairs to bed & the attack come on me so violently. I too thought there was something much worse because it now isn't just my bowel that is being affected but light tingling in my shoulders & a heavy cold numb feeling across my shoulders & down my arms. I found this board soon after (thank God & his angels) and I believe this to be part of this crazy syndrome.I also had an attack that landed me in the hospital that I got when I was getting up out of bed (however this attack was during probably one of the most stressful times of my life). Both of these attacks have been so violent. I have learned since the 1st violent attack to focus (no matter how hard) on my breathing....only because it takes my mind off the pain & brings everything back into prospective.....I never delivered a baby naturally but, I now see why the breathing is important, & also in yoga meditation.I highly reccommend forcing yourself to take deep conscious breathes!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MK618:Have you read Dr. Salt's book - you can order it from this site. It answers many of the question concerning your problem and is written for the novice.It is a great book!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I used to have trouble clearing my throat. That was the first real warning symptom. I think IBS causes the deppression and other mental symptoms. I'm on prilosec and doing better. Yes there could be somthing wrong and your doctor(s) have not found it. Its probably not serious but it may cause your IBS symptoms. It took me three years and many different doctors to find out I have gastritis and a ulcer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.