Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 years ago(after my gallbladder was removed) I was still having stomach problems(which I still do). My doctor sent me to have an Upper GI and an ultrasound. The only end result of the test was that I was told I have a nervous colon. I was never properly informed of what should be done about this, what it entails, if it's something that relates to IBS or anything. I am very curious to find out if anyone would have any information relating to this topic. I am desperate to find all reasons for my IBS-D.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel so stupid!! After posting this topic I decided I would do some research online...I do a search for nervous colon and what does it pull up...an online pamphlet talking about IBS...nervous colon is just another word for it. I'm also mad because I was diagnosed with IBS that long ago and never informed or properly discussed with how to handle this "disease". I went to doctor after doctor with my symptoms, and stool test after stool test I was told that there was nothing wrong with me. I feel relief because I know for sure now that I have this but bummed because the doctor never told me how to deal with it...it might have saved me a lot of headache.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
angela goin, no problem we will help you out the bvest we can, welcome to the bb.
There are all kinds of forums to check out and read and links and all kinds of information and help and good people with IBS.If you tell us some specific syptoms your having maybe we can help you.
Nervous colon is an outdated name for IBS.There are a lot of resources here.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi Angela, I have found in my experience that my Doctors (then again they were too busy for me so I met with a nurse practitioner on three occasions after waiting a month for two out of the three appointments) weren't as helpful as this board. I mean she was in that she diagnosed it as such, but the only thing she could do was put me on Bentyl . Here you can get links to really informative and helpful articles to help you to understand what is going on (Eric (above) posts really great links...and I thank you again Eric for all of your valuable info.) It also helps to know what some triggers are for others (although we are all different, you can kind of figure out the main ones and experiment yourself with excluding these from your diet) and also natural homeopathic remedies as peppermint oil, ginger, specific teas etc.Doctors can be very helpful (some people have had really good doctors on here, others have not) but it doesn't hurt to find out options that your doctor was not aware of through other sufferers. Every IBS case is individual, but you may find suggestions of what may help you relieve the symptoms.It's always best to check with a doctor before trying herbal supplements or vitamins or minerals as they may interact with any meds you are currently taking.Welcome.
Kari

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this bulletin board has definately been more helpful than any of the doctors I have been to see. Not only for emotional and mental support but all the information that has been given to me freely. I am so, so, so thankful for finding this website. I am truely blessed.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
How interesting to find another person here who lives in the same city as I do! I'll admit though that I don't really care to be here. My mother and I are trying to move out of McKinney; we both hate it here.Angela, your profile mentioned you were a student. Where are you going to school/college? I'm also a college student here.Apparently, we have both had bad luck with the doctors in this area. Let me know if you do ever find any good GI doctors nearby.Sorry if I went off-topic. My IBS involves mostly C and bloating. I hope you find some relief here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey ad...i'm actually all over the place right now. I was living in McKinney, working in Frisco, and planning on attending quad c in plano...those were my plans! But the ball didn't exactely bounce the way it was suppose to for some reason. So right nowi 'm staying in Dallas with my sister and still working in Frisco. I'm totally bummed about not getting to attend school this semester but anyhoo...life goes on. There's always next semester. Think I will go to a university this time but not sure where. Anyways, long reply I know
Would love to e-mail you sometime or vice-versa. Look forward to hearing from you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.