Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Until I got my diet under control I had the same problem as one of my symptoms. I used to just premedicate with Immodium (or before that was on the market with Bentyl and Phenobarbital). Even a normal person can suffer some exagerrated GI repsonse under stress and from anxiety. If your gut nerves are upregulated and the smooth muscle "twitchy" due to an unseen provocation (unseen yet as you have not isolated it or them) then the premedication is the cheap-and-easy way out.Also, anxiety management exercises can be helpful as well. Combine that with a program of dietary isolation and removal of provoking agents and you should be able to overcome this and need drugs less or not at all.I just had to do such a presentation at a healthfair in Ft. Lauderdale last week....an open lecture to the public attending the healthfair on the role of food and additive sensitivity in IBS. Who knew how many would be there...this would have normally been in the old days (6) Immodiums downed to keep an episode from emerging.No problem. Zip. Dr. Weinstock, in cooperation with Thomas Lipsitz, Ph.D, developed a program on CD's which I know personally has been helpful to IBS victims in managing their anxiety responses www.ibstherapy.com. Also many persons have reported benefitting from Mike Mahoneys hynotherapy programs as well (I forgot his link but it is on the Boards often, or check ERIC's website as well).You may see I am driving at a 3-pronged approach to the problem....like a 3-legged stool the management of your problem with proper dietary therpy, anxiety management, and supportive pharmacotherapy will provide the best possible outcome compared to any one modality alone.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 10-13-2001).]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.