Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime my IBS gets worse I have no appetite. I don't have full blown diarrhia or constipation. I have about 3-4 stools a day which range from normal to a little mushi, so not really that bad. The most annoying part is the abdominal discomfort esspecially on the left and always worse after eating. I am worried because soon I am going to travel with my In laws and husband and daughter to Germany and Switzerland. It's so hard when you can't enjoy the food when you travel and on top you get punished with pain afterwards. It's a scary thought to travel with so many people when you don't feel good. How do I manage to get my appetite back ? Do a lot of IBSerst feel like me when it comes to the appetite ? I couldn't care less about food.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree that eating can become a necessary evil when you have IBS. But don't avoid it.The worst thing about travelling is that you often have less opportunity to eat and can end up eating bigger meals than you would like (especially if you've paid lots for the meal and think that you have to eat it all to justify the expense). This is a recipe for pain for anyone, not just IBS sufferers. Try to eat small meals frequently. Pretty hard if the relations are not sympathetic. Is there a type of snack that suits you that you can carry around with you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used to do the same thing in the past. I always ate almost everything that was in my plate when being on a trip and having a meal in a restaurant. It felt stupid to waste all that money and eat only about a third. And in Romania, it's not very fashionable to take the leftovers with you, people believe that one should let the waiter dispose of what you can't eat on the spot. Otherwise, people would think that you are uneducated, "desperate" or very poor...But what the heck, my health is more important than what the other people think. And my finances, while being less important than my health, are still of much more importance than what the other people might believe. So I decided to eat only the amount I can normally eat without having any issue and then take the leftovers with me (being so unusual to ask the waiter to pack the food for me, I have to bring a bag and some napkins myself). I can always eat the leftovers later. You could do something like that as well. Eating small amounts might help.I also don't have an appetite when I am sick and sometimes I feel like I would die if I took a bite of any food. But I use to tell myself that I have to eat, even if I don't feel like it, because not eating is only going to make things worse. Once I decide that I have to eat, I regard the act of eating as if it were akin to taking some medication. You don't enjoy taking medication, but you have to. I might not enjoy eating, but I have to, at least a little bit. It worked fine for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was like that for about 15 years, just eating a couple bites of food once a day, 2 months ago I started taking colonetix, and I have been eating 3 meals a day ever since, the bad thing is in that 2 months I have gained 15 pounds

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hasenfuss,You're a prolific member so I'm sorry if I am asking you a question that has been asked before.Have you in the past kept a diary to see if a particular food or food group is bothering you?Below are the sensitivities that made me ill some time ago, that I had personally identified.1. Lactose (milk and cream mainly), I'm ok with cheese. 2. Sorbitol (mainly pears, apples, plums, cherries)3. Fructose (I can eat fruit, but not too much).4. Sulphites (preservative - eg in jam, dried fruit, wine etc). Sensitivity barely noticeable now.5. Salicylates (present in almonds, tomatoes, honey, cordial, peppermint tea etc). I have recovered from this one.6. Amines (present in aged meats, overcooked meat, aged cheese dark chocolate, etc) Recovered.7. Wheat (I do not eat wheat (except for traces) and never will. Sorbitol and lactose are the only two that sometimes get me these days.If you haven't yet done this sort of anaylysis, perhaps try it?Some sensitivities (eg sulphites and salicylates) are triggered by having too much of a particular food group (ie a small portion is ok). Jackmat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.