Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its kinda linked to my last post but wanted to ask a specific question of you all.today I had really bad D, and the problem with my current job is i cant leave to go to the toilet when i need to (urgently and constantly that is) so i have to rely on meds to stop the need.by lunchtime today I had had 16 loperimide, 3 immodium plus and 10 lomotil and I still had to run to the toilet at lunch, by the point I was practically dry and the meds had stopped the feeling of the need after it had all passed.now I know we all have bad spouts like this and was wanting to know if anyone had an emergency pill, basically something that just stops the D, something that you wouldnt take for smaller or normal bouts but for the huge flair ups when we get them

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
almost like my post of what to take for a flare up to stop it>> to be honrst lately nothing works no matter how much or when i take it...i keep telling my dr...if nothing works,this cannot be ibs it has to be someting else.....he disagrees i quit with these drs....i cannot afford to be dr hopping every month or quit one when he says something i dono agree with

·
Registered
287 Posts
IBS88 and Knothappy-I too seem to be a bit resistant to imodium and lomotil. I usually take 8-10imodium per day. My consultant said this is NOT too much-we just don't hear always about people taking much more. She said she has several patients, although not always with IBS, who take 16 imodium 4x daily ie 32 tabs per day. She keeps telling me to up my dose. She is an expert on IBS according to her CV and colleagues. The dietician that I saw recently confirmed what she said. Also, the dietician told me they are using L-glutamine for patients in intensive care to preserve their gut integrity. This is something I have responded to positively so you might want to try it-I buy it as permatrol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get Questran in the UK? Or is it like Lotronex something we will never get?I have a good system of 3 loperimide to start plus 2 in a few min afterwards, then 2 every 10-15 min until my stomac settless but that only works before I have D but i know its comming.a few hand fulls and a few immodium plus help normal.I'd love for someone to come up with a drug that can be sold anywhere that could just put a full stop to D fast, even if it can only be used in the worst cases.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes you can get questran(cholestyramine) in the UK,just go to your GP and ask for some.I tried it a few months ago but it did absolutely nothing for me,maybe it will help you,good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks kathleen it will be worth a try,have you ever tried it?also thanks petra for suggesting permatrol i'll have a look into that too.its not that the amounts of drugs it takes is worrying its just trying to reduce the length of time it takes to cut out some of the prolonged problems. in the house I wouldnt worry as much but when im working i dont have the ability to go to the toilet at short notice or repeatedly (actually leaving my job so hoping to get one that would be more flexable for IBS but its doubtful these days)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My diarrhea was never severe so I really didn't need things to stop me up.Even though I'd go 2-3 times a day and it was loose it wasn't interfering with my life. Now the unrelenting pain, that needed to be treated so that was where the focus was.Have you been to the doctor since the diarrhea got a lot worse? You might need to be checked for bacteria/parasites and maybe get a biopsy done to check for microscopic colitis. IBS doesn't mean nothing else can happen. Although it does depend on how much worse this is than usual. If it is pretty different I'd want to have it checked out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a check up every 6 months for bloods and if anything was consistantly wrong id have the rest checked too, nomatter what the press says about the NHS the constant care is second to none in scotland at the very least, the only issues we have is on the meds that are deemed safe.My IBS got really bad about 4 or 5 years ago its gotten a lot better since then, but every now and then you have a bad spell.Watery stools is almost a thing of the past (almost as the only reason I haven't had one in such a long time is when i know its coming I can take things for it) but I still have D just in a more solid form and lately thats made it harder to just stop, and not that its went to constipation but always have to have in the mind that your not stopping a normal BM that your mistaking for D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you take 10 Lomotil pills at once? That's dangerous. You can try a mixature of Codiene, Colofac and Lomotil, avoid caffiene, alcohol and nicotene. Have some rescue remedy and if that doesn't work don't get worried, it is only diarrhea and it can't hurt you. Unless you are in pain, in which case - Colofac, Lomotil and Codiene.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
petra and I live in the UK so if petra knows people take 32 tabs a day I wouldnt be suprised not much else you get prescribed for and on NHS it doesnt cost much and soon in scotland it wont cost a Penny. last pre-paid card I bought cost £25 for a year and think the current ones are something like £26 and within the next 2 years it will be all the way down to zero.I didnt take all 10 lomitil at once no. its not so much pain just as I said I can't get to the toilet easily at work so if I have D I need to stop it vary fast

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re-imodium prescribing-yes, it is prescribed on the NHS in the UK so I only pay for prescription costs. I took 6 together last night-the most I have ever taken in one go but it didn't really make any difference to me. And yet, I'm told nobody becomes resistant to them-at least that's what my consultant says. It makes you wonder though!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts