Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More Alosetron/Lotronex research...--------------------------------------------: Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2000 Jan;14(1):23-34 A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled dose-ranging study to evaluate the efficacy of alosetron in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Bardhan KD, Bodemar G, Geldof H, Schutz E, Heath A, Mills JG, Jacques LA Rotherham General Hospital, UK.BACKGROUND: Irritable bowel syndrome is a common gastrointestinal disorder characterized by abdominal pain and discomfort and altered bowel habit. Antagonism at the 5-HT3 receptor may be of benefit in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. AIMS: To evaluate the effect of 12 weeks of treatment with alosetron, a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist at doses of 0.1 mg b.d., 0.5 mg b.d. and 2 mg b.d. in irritable bowel syndrome patients. METHODS: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study with a 2-week screening and a 12-week treatment period was conducted. A total of 462 patients (335 female) recorded details of the severity of their abdominal pain, and bowel function daily on a diary card throughout the study. At monthly clinic visits patients recorded the severity of their abdominal pain/discomfort and diarrhoea on a visual analogue scale. RESULTS: In the total population and in the female subpopulation (but not in males) alosetron 2 mg b.d. significantly increased the proportion of pain-free days and decreased the visual analogue scale score for diarrhoea compared with placebo. Alosetron at doses of 0.5 mg b.d. and 2 mg b.d. led to a significant hardening of stool, and a reduction in stool frequency in the total population. CONCLUSION: Alosetron at a dose of 2 mg b.d. is an effective treatment for female patients with irritable bowel syndrome.---------------------------------------------This research is consistent with other recently published work; Alosetron is effective for D-predominant IBS, but apparently only in females. Too many studies have shown this gender difference now to argue otherwise; Alosetron does not appear to work as well in males. I guess the guys on this BB will have to wait for Cilansetron, huh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guy,That is most interesting. Thank you so much for posting it---and so quickly.......------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good to me.When does it come out??????!!!!!!!!!!!Where else can I get some more info about it?Mickey

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes, Guy. But not such a long time. And Cilansetron may well prove to be the best one for all of us. Thank you so much for posting this.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Thanks, Guy. There is hope on the horizon!
Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
545 Posts
But dont confuse that it does not work as well for males as females to mean than it is not benificial for males (to some extent).This article actually says "led to a significant hardening of stool, and a reduction in stool frequency in the total population"And if they where prepared to make the distinction between male and female for the 2mg dose then im sure they would not have hesitated to point this out for the lower doeses if infact they found an apreciable discrepancy between the two groups.Oh, and ive seen 3 statements from 3 different males who have been involved in studies, that state that they have had great improvements while taking lotronex, so I for one will still be giving lotronex a try...
[This message has been edited by Nath (edited 01-14-2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts