Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, iam a 31 yr old male who has had stomache problems all my life.i suffer from ocd and panic attacks.latley (past year) my stomach problems have been getting worste.my family doctor thinks i have ibs.he is not to reasuring tho.my symptoms are:stomache crampsloose stools (somtimes water)then normal stoolswhen i have these stomache attacks i have 3-4 bowel movements till the attack is over. the last 2 bowel movememnts get really bad.my body wants to push but theres nothing to come out.the pain gets bad.it feels like its in my lower back and abdominal areas.usauly the day after these atacks ill have a bowel movment with juts clear yellowish mucas. twice i have had a v ery small amount of blood mixed in.my doctor thinks the blood is from straining.he had me go in for a blood work up and it all came back good.he put me on metimucil and this is where i stand.any help would be great.thanks george

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi there twisted.and welcome!Have you tried doing a food diary to see if anything in particular is making these symptoms worse?It sounds like some of the symptoms I (and many others on here) get. I have managed to keep mine under some sort of control (in that it is no longer every day!) by doing this.Basically write down all you are eating and see if there is a pattern.With me it was onions (quite a staple of the vegetarian diet I follow
)Maybe this will help you as it has me.I also take peppermint to help digestion which may be something that you want to try.Hopefully you'll get a lot of ideas and support from here.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi there twisted.and welcome!Have you tried doing a food diary to see if anything in particular is making these symptoms worse?It sounds like some of the symptoms I (and many others on here) get. I have managed to keep mine under some sort of control (in that it is no longer every day!) by doing this.Basically write down all you are eating and see if there is a pattern.With me it was onions (quite a staple of the vegetarian diet I follow
)Maybe this will help you as it has me.I also take peppermint to help digestion which may be something that you want to try.Hopefully you'll get a lot of ideas and support from here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ebw,i havent written anything down but have tried cutting certian thigs out of my diet. in the last day i have stayed away from soda and been drinking alot of water.so i take it you write down everything you eat and mark down when you have an ibs attack and then look for the comon foods that may cause it ?thanks again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ebw,i havent written anything down but have tried cutting certian thigs out of my diet. in the last day i have stayed away from soda and been drinking alot of water.so i take it you write down everything you eat and mark down when you have an ibs attack and then look for the comon foods that may cause it ?thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Twisted. I just wanted you to know that I can so sympathize with you in what you are going through. We have a lot of the same symptoms. I had my IBS under control for a while but since my step-daughter and her boyfriend moved back home and our empty nest became full again it's flaring up quite often.Just today I had the stomach cramps, firm stools and then water, have been in the restroom at least 4 times since 1:00 pm today, and finally got the strength to go get my medicine. The spasms are awful. I'm like you as far as my body wanting to push. The pain does get bad. I have noticed problems with pain in my bladder area and in my lower back. It will be that way for two days. Last week it got so bad that my ribs and chest hurt. I think I probably need to go back to my GI and see if he can prescribe something for when this flares up so badly, something to stop the spasms. Librax helps but not nearly enough. The day after these atacks I don't have the mucus you mentioned but I'm weak and fatigued. I no longer panic at the sight of blood as long as it's bright red. I know it's from straining. I hope you get some answers and ideas.I have cut out high fructose corn syrup (this is in a lot of colas - I drink strictly diet caffeine free now), onions, raw veggies, fried hamburger meat unless I fry it and get as much of the grease out as possible (I have a gall bladder that's MIA) and steer clear of nuts and popcorn.Keeping a food diary is a good idea. It will definitely help you identify whether certain foods set it off. Mine, today, was caused by stress. For lunch I had some things that could have caused it but when the stress reared it's head within 30 minutes I was at the porcelain throne.Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Twisted. I just wanted you to know that I can so sympathize with you in what you are going through. We have a lot of the same symptoms. I had my IBS under control for a while but since my step-daughter and her boyfriend moved back home and our empty nest became full again it's flaring up quite often.Just today I had the stomach cramps, firm stools and then water, have been in the restroom at least 4 times since 1:00 pm today, and finally got the strength to go get my medicine. The spasms are awful. I'm like you as far as my body wanting to push. The pain does get bad. I have noticed problems with pain in my bladder area and in my lower back. It will be that way for two days. Last week it got so bad that my ribs and chest hurt. I think I probably need to go back to my GI and see if he can prescribe something for when this flares up so badly, something to stop the spasms. Librax helps but not nearly enough. The day after these atacks I don't have the mucus you mentioned but I'm weak and fatigued. I no longer panic at the sight of blood as long as it's bright red. I know it's from straining. I hope you get some answers and ideas.I have cut out high fructose corn syrup (this is in a lot of colas - I drink strictly diet caffeine free now), onions, raw veggies, fried hamburger meat unless I fry it and get as much of the grease out as possible (I have a gall bladder that's MIA) and steer clear of nuts and popcorn.Keeping a food diary is a good idea. It will definitely help you identify whether certain foods set it off. Mine, today, was caused by stress. For lunch I had some things that could have caused it but when the stress reared it's head within 30 minutes I was at the porcelain throne.Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laurie Ann thanks for the reply. alos it seems all my attacks are not the same. some are worste then others.the really bad ones put me down for a day.i dont know what is worste,having the ibs attacks or having panic attacks wonderig when i will have an ibs attack.it gets tirsome.i reach to my doctors for help and it seems they are deaf to my problems. somtimes i dont know where to go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laurie Ann thanks for the reply. alos it seems all my attacks are not the same. some are worste then others.the really bad ones put me down for a day.i dont know what is worste,having the ibs attacks or having panic attacks wonderig when i will have an ibs attack.it gets tirsome.i reach to my doctors for help and it seems they are deaf to my problems. somtimes i dont know where to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Twisted, you're welcome. I know well how varying the flare-ups can be. I've had to leave work before when I have had them. Once I was "through" I'd just sleep forever and be so tired and achy. It's like having the flu without the fever.Panic attacks are quite scary. Give the choice I'd take the IBS. At least with that I know that will pass. I break out in hives when I have panic attacks (haven't had one in a while, PTL) but I cannot explain how horrible they are.If your doctor's aren't helping you it's time to move on to another doctor. You will find one that will listen to your problem. Get to a gastrointerologist (GI) and let them do a colonoscopy. With a good diagnosis of what it isn't it may give you enough peace of mind that the panic attacks could subside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Twisted, you're welcome. I know well how varying the flare-ups can be. I've had to leave work before when I have had them. Once I was "through" I'd just sleep forever and be so tired and achy. It's like having the flu without the fever.Panic attacks are quite scary. Give the choice I'd take the IBS. At least with that I know that will pass. I break out in hives when I have panic attacks (haven't had one in a while, PTL) but I cannot explain how horrible they are.If your doctor's aren't helping you it's time to move on to another doctor. You will find one that will listen to your problem. Get to a gastrointerologist (GI) and let them do a colonoscopy. With a good diagnosis of what it isn't it may give you enough peace of mind that the panic attacks could subside.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi twisted - First you should go to a GI to get a proper diagnoses. GI doctors treat IBS daily. I have anxiety induced IBS D. I take Buspar which is non drowsy because it is not a antidepressant. That was from my general practitioner and My GI has me on Donnatal which is a antispasmodic between the two medications and keeping caffeine to a minimum I am living a pretty normal life. Keep trying different things. Hang in there.--------------My story: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...0155;p=1#000000

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi twisted - First you should go to a GI to get a proper diagnoses. GI doctors treat IBS daily. I have anxiety induced IBS D. I take Buspar which is non drowsy because it is not a antidepressant. That was from my general practitioner and My GI has me on Donnatal which is a antispasmodic between the two medications and keeping caffeine to a minimum I am living a pretty normal life. Keep trying different things. Hang in there.--------------My story: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...0155;p=1#000000

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you both..laurie anne,i to have hives but not with my panic attacks.i get em randomly.i feel fine most of the time when i do get them.they range from bug bite size to up to a quarter in size and itch alot.i dont know if its a side effect from the stress or what.i know i need to go to a gi but when i go to these places i get panic attacks.its hard to get out when i get the panics.i have to do somthing as even my "safe places" are being affected by them now.thanks again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you both..laurie anne,i to have hives but not with my panic attacks.i get em randomly.i feel fine most of the time when i do get them.they range from bug bite size to up to a quarter in size and itch alot.i dont know if its a side effect from the stress or what.i know i need to go to a gi but when i go to these places i get panic attacks.its hard to get out when i get the panics.i have to do somthing as even my "safe places" are being affected by them now.thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.