Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,We (Gordon and Jean) are new to this group and new to IBS. Let me first say, Jean is not yet diagnosed. We are in the process of getting a Doctors diagnosis, however she is exhibiting all the symptoms.She is in the C catogorey, with occasional D.The MD has done a catscan, and she is in the process of getting scoped, top and bottom.We are beginning to catalog foods that seem to make her symptoms worse, but right now, EVERYTHING she eats gives her tremendous bloating. She has chronic C with an occasional bout of D and mucus.This came on suddenly, after an overnight in the hospital for sever high blood pressure. They have it under control now and it seems since the lowering of heart rate and BP this has occured.She has dystonia in her neck and a benign tremor because of that. She has been on Painkillers and Muscle relaxers for this condition for about 6 years. She is also hypothyroid, so she is taking lots of medication daily for all these conditions.Pending official diagnosis I have a few questions that perhaps the members can make some suggestions to the answers of.
  • 1. What can we do to help her with the eating problem? It seems like anything, even a soda cracker, gives her gas and bloating.2. Enema seems to be the only sure remedy for the C. Are repeated enemas (daily) harmful?3. We have been using simethicone to releive the gas. Currently she is using a daily total of about 1,250 MG a day. That's 2 pills about 5 times a day.4. We have used Laxitives only occasionally, and they don't seem to help. We are aware of the dangers of dependency on these, does anyone have any experience with them?Thanks for your help,Gordon and Jean TaylorWalton, NY

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
1. ...com should provide you with a wealth of information on eating for ibs.there are many books sold on amazon... go to amazon.com and type "IBS"... you'll have a ton of books that pop up, and there are a couple that are about ibs friendly foods.2. daily enemas can be a very bad thing, you can become dependant on them, just like laxatives, to have a bowel movement. when stopped, you might not be able to have one on your own. 2-3 times a month isn't as bad as 2-3 times a week. less the better, imo... im not a doctor.that's all i can respond to, hopefully you get some definitive answers soon.wish you well

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Gordon and Jean,I think the best place for you to start is to get a list of meds she takes and look them up for the side effects. Pain killers and muscle relaxers can for sure cause constipation. A thyroid problem and also effect the bowels. You may consider taking magnesium to help with the constipation because it gets more fluid to the intestins and help the constipation. Getting the righe dose of magneisum is a trial and error deal. You must be sure it is okay to take magnesium with the other meds you take also.Linda

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Grant (?),Sure, here is a list of her meds:Vicadin 10/500 (about 6years now)Soma (Recently upgraded from Flexaril)AciphexSynthroidEstradiol (HRT)Beta Blocker for Heart Rate and BPZantac for H2 blocking (Temporary)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Is she taking any fiber? Definitely the vicodin could be causing some of the constipation problems.ibs in general can cause these problems, but the medicines can definitely add ot it.fiber supplements would be a good place to start...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. We have been adding it some. However, it's so hard to tell, since everything causes bloating and unbelieveable (to us at least) amounts of gas. I was reading an article about eating soluable fiber first, we'll try that approach. Don't forget, she is as of yet, undiagnosised.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi! I'd hate to add to that medication list at all but buscopan is an antispasmodic you can buy over the counter at the chemist and helps with pain. It CAN cause a little constipation in some though. Another alternative for the pain, bloating and spasms is enteric coated peppermint oil capsules. Peppermint oil is great for relieving cramps. On that note drinking strong peppermint tea is cheap and can also help with the pain. (however peppermint should not be taken if she has reflux).I can't help much with the constipation side of things. I suffer from diarreah but yes, fibre can help some people. Metamucil and benefibre seem to be the most popular (although americans talk about citrucelle a lot too, but we don't have that here).Good luck to your wife with her tests and I hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi gordonandjean: I can second that vicodin (and most pain killers) cause C. (I'm IBS-C) If I take a pain killer (vicodin, darvocet, tylenol, etc) it is a sure bet I'll be plugged for days, if not weeks, and when I finally go, it's like trying to pass a basket ball.Some foods that help me are cherios, apples, pears, grape nuts, toast, and yogurt. Not 100%, but some of these help some of the time.I think Jean may be able to lick this, since it came on suddenly. Usually IBS is a life long problem. It could be something that happened in the hospital (pain killer maybe).I find that if I drink a large glass of water after I go #2, it helps for the next time.Calcium may help with the gas.I hope things get better.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Gordon and Jean,I think she really need to get off of some of these meds if she can and this would help her to feel better getting ride of side effect of them. Do not add calcium for the gas because it will add to the constipation she already has. Taking calcium also has to be timed so you don't take it the same time as the synthroid. I sent you info on the drugs listed but you did not say the BP name and you can look it up also.Linda

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HI amd Welcome

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.