Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got diagnosed with IBS about 3 weeks ago and my doctor started me with Zelnorm. In the past 3 weeks, I've changed my diet dramatically and I noticed that I've lost quite a few pounds of weight. I'm also feeling tired and sort of depressed. Does this happens normally? Coincedentally, I also have Acic Reflux and the diet program is somewhat similar to IBS diet program. I welcome your thoughts on this.John L.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How many pounds? Have you asked your doctor about it? The dramatic diet change and starting the meds could be the culprit of the weight loss and the tired feelings and it could level out soon. But if it's concerning you you really should bounce it off the doctor, for reassurance, if nothing else.
I am starting a new diet, one I'm making from Heather's site, and hope to lose some weight and get rid of the depression. My doctor recently prescribed me a 75mg tablet of elavil and that has really thrown me off. For some reason I had been getting the 50 mg and cutting one in half. I don't know why but my last flare up started around that time. I also had a sinus infection and the antibiotics I was on were really strong. Ick!!!!I hope you're feeling better soon. You'll get lots of advice and support from this group. It's been a life saver to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello AllI think you're all right about the meds making me tired! In the past couple of days, I don't realy feel tired anymore. I think it is leveling out now. FYI - I really find this site very helpful as I go through some of the messages from many diff. people who have the same condition.Question? - Do stress aggravates the symptoms? I can't deny that this condition has really affected my daily activity. I feel irritated and I often get impatient. I'm glad that my wife is very supportive and understanding (that helps a lot). We are taking a trip to Disneyland this coming June and I should really be excited about it (esp. for our little boy) but I'm really stressing out right now thinking of how to deal with this condition while we're there.I truly welcome your inputs, again.Aloha from HawaiiJohn L.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi John, Welcome, and Aloha to you,Yes, stress is a factor in IBS. It can make you worse, but stess doesn't cause IBS.There are lots of motels/hotels very near to Disneyland. I assume you are going to the Anaheim park and not Florida.There are also lots of restrooms there. The best bet is to stay near the park and get there as early as you can, right when it opens. That way you can get on some of the more popular rides before they get crowded. One of the secrets of visiting Disneyland is to take the train first and then get off at Adventureland/frontier land. Then you can see the haunted house, and Pirates of the Carribean, both not to be missed, then you can go over to the adventureland cruise which is close by. Get those over early and then you won't have to stand in line too long. I know there are new rides that are exciting also in that area. Can you afford a two day pass? Maybe it would be easier on you if you can visit on two days instead of one.There are plenty of places to get things to eat there and quiet areas where you can rest. Go slowly and rest often. I don't mean to write a book, but I used to live near Disneyland and we had it down to a science. But be prepared for crowds, however.Don't get too stressed over it, you are going to have a good time.Can you smuggle me back in your suitcase? I haven't been to Hawaii in many years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello! NerfmomLots of thanks much for your possitive inputs. As for Disneyland, yes we are going to Anaheim. My wife have been there over ten years ago and I'm quite sure, there's been alot of changes since then. I'll definitely consider your suggestions as to getting around.Hawaii is beautiful as always. My wife was from Sacramento and don't wanna move back or anywhere else. Come and visit again!AlohaJohn L.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi John,We live in Northern California having moved here from Southern California about 9 months ago. I think we are about an hours drive away from Sacramento. Since I don't drive much anymore, we haven't gone many places since we moved here.By the way, Angels baseball stadium is very near Disneyland. My husband and I took the train into Anaheim several times. The Amtrak station and the baseball stadium share the same parking lot. Take the trip and enjoy it. Tell that "bowel alien" to stay away!! A big Aloha to you and your family!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe someday I will get back to Hawaii. My son and daughter in law have a time share on Maui. They invited us last summer, but my husband's doctor said no. My husband is elderly and has several medical problems including a seizure disorder. It has been some time since I have been there.Anyway, you will have fun at Disneyland. If you can get over to California Adventure, go there if you have time. I think there is a package deal. The last time we went, my daughter in law still worked for the ABC, so we didn't have to pay to get in. It has been several years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.