Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new antidepressant called Cymbalta just recently released? It sounds similar to Effexor as it contains both Seritonin and norephremine (spelling??).I was just wondering if anyone has experienced constipation or diarrhea with this medication or gained any benefits from it.Would love to get some feedback

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I had a recent appointment with Dr. Drossman and we discussed it. Apparently in the development it looked like it was really good for IBS types of things. I've seen several papers about Overactive Bladder in it (need to do more searching). It is also good for diabetic nerve pain, which may be a good thing for IBSers with pain issues.I am off the Buspar for the moment (I'm doing ok without it, and I seem to be doing my many years on a medication and then I get some minor annoying side effects...so we are seeing if without things are different or not) but if I need to go back on something I think he wants to try me on Cymbalta.So he seemed to think it may be good for many IBSers.One thing I noticed in the stuff I read is it seems to be more associated with weight loss than weight gain, so that maybe something people are interested in.Let me check the diarrhea vs constipation side effects. So these are not in IBSers specifically, but it can give an idea of what the issues are. They were about double the placebo rates and fairly evenly mixed, so it is hard to judge if it might be better for IBS-D vs IBS-C (and it is probably like most of them...depends how it hits you).K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I had a recent appointment with Dr. Drossman and we discussed it. Apparently in the development it looked like it was really good for IBS types of things. I've seen several papers about Overactive Bladder in it (need to do more searching). It is also good for diabetic nerve pain, which may be a good thing for IBSers with pain issues.I am off the Buspar for the moment (I'm doing ok without it, and I seem to be doing my many years on a medication and then I get some minor annoying side effects...so we are seeing if without things are different or not) but if I need to go back on something I think he wants to try me on Cymbalta.So he seemed to think it may be good for many IBSers.One thing I noticed in the stuff I read is it seems to be more associated with weight loss than weight gain, so that maybe something people are interested in.Let me check the diarrhea vs constipation side effects. So these are not in IBSers specifically, but it can give an idea of what the issues are. They were about double the placebo rates and fairly evenly mixed, so it is hard to judge if it might be better for IBS-D vs IBS-C (and it is probably like most of them...depends how it hits you).K.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,I am trying Cymbalta. Have been on it for a couple of weeks now. I used to take Effexor. Cymbalta is very similar to Effexor but has an added benefit in that it has a second FDA approved use, and that is pain relief. My doctor thinks it may help me with fibromyalgia pain and has enrolled me in a post-FDA-approval study which is to last seven weeks. He said it would take about that long for me to know if it is helping with my pain. The switch over from Effexor to Cymbalta was very simple with no withdrawal from Effexor. Just switched directly to the Cymbalta with absolutely no ill effects. Seems to be equally good as a mood elevator.Hope this information helps someone.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,I am trying Cymbalta. Have been on it for a couple of weeks now. I used to take Effexor. Cymbalta is very similar to Effexor but has an added benefit in that it has a second FDA approved use, and that is pain relief. My doctor thinks it may help me with fibromyalgia pain and has enrolled me in a post-FDA-approval study which is to last seven weeks. He said it would take about that long for me to know if it is helping with my pain. The switch over from Effexor to Cymbalta was very simple with no withdrawal from Effexor. Just switched directly to the Cymbalta with absolutely no ill effects. Seems to be equally good as a mood elevator.Hope this information helps someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts