Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an abstract which briefly describes some new antidepressant/antianxiety medications.---------------------------------------------: Lancet 2000 Mar 11;355(9207):911-8 SNaRIs, NaSSAs, and NaRIs: new agents for the treatment of depression. Kent JM New York State Psychiatric Institute, Unit 41, New York, NY 10032, USA. JMK14###columbia.eduA major goal of antidepressant developmentis to improve on preceding drug classes with agents with greater specificity (and therefore fewer unwanted side-effects) and with more rapid onset of antidepressant action. To this end, four antidepressants with significantly distinct pharmacological characteristics have been recently introduced: venlafaxine, nefazodone, mirtazapine, and reboxetine. Venlafaxine is the first antidepressant in a new drug class referred to as the serotonin noradrenergic reuptake inhibitors (SNaRIs). Nefazodone is a weaker serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, but a potent serotonin 5-HT2 receptor antagonist. Mirtazapine is a potent antagonist of central 2alpha-adrenergic autoreceptors, and heteroreceptors and is an antagonist of serotonin 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors. The result of these actions is to increase both noradrenergic and specific (5-HT1) serotonergic transmission, and mirtazapine has therefore been termed a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA). Reboxetine is the first selective noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (NaRI) to be introduced since the tricyclics, and lacks immediate serotonergic effects.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Thanks for the update, Guy!
JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Guy. I'm one of those people who has needed the SSRI meds. but couldn't tolerate them. I suffer from panic attacks and depression, and of course on top of that, IBS. At any rate, my doctor finally talked me into trying this new antidepressant, Serzone or Nefazodone. It has been a God send! I can't say enough good things about it, there's not enough room on this board. I've just started taking it and am having a bit of trouble getting my dosage just right. My system is so highly sensitive, (that's why I couldn't tolerate the SSRI's) that I can't take meds. like anyone else. It's hard for anyone to believe but, all that I have to do is touch most of these stronger type meds. to my tongue, just enough to get just a tiny bit of the medicine on it and that's it. It's very hard to get a set dosage doing this. Like, I've had 2 kids and all that I could take for the pain was 1 extra strength Tylenol at a time. It sounds crazy I know but it's true. If anyone has suggestions or can relate to this please let me know. At any rate, I would recommend this medicine to anyone, and I'm thankful to God for it! ------------------"A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother". (C/D-type)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Runn,I too am taking serzone. It has been a godsend for me too. I have been on it about three or four months, and I feel back to normal. i took paxil for four years, but lost my libido. I stopped taking paxil, (libido still hasnt come back , I dont know if they're related)but I became a wreck without anything. I'm telling you, these drugs are wonderful. i have now come to the realization that i may need serratonin drugs for the rest of my life, but I am okay with that because I feel great, and that is all that matters. i will only be here for a limited time, why not make my time here on earth happy and healthy rather than hide out worrying about the stigma that is associated with these drugs.Wait, did I get a little off track? I do that sometimes, anyhow, i forgot why I posted here. I guess just to say serzone is great for me, too.LALA

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Guy, thanks for the update. I'm going to show it to my doctor (psychiatrist) who is up on meds. Why, to find a "perfect" pill. In there lies my problem, OCD (other than IBS)! Prozac controls rituals but my mind never shuts up unless I use therapy on myself. My mind doesn't like it when I do this. I will now and just stop typing and post! vikee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vikee,The tricylic antidepressant Clomipramine (Anafranil) and the SSRI Fluvoxamine (Luvox)are usually the first drugs of choice to treat OCD. Remeron has been shown to be effective in treating generalized anxiety disorder and related conditions. Remeron has not been specifically studied as to whether or not it works for OCD, but there's no reason why it shouldn't, since OCD is grouped with the other anxiety disorders Remeron is known to help.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is serzone helping with your anxiety or your ibs or both. In your opinion is it treating the anxiety which helps the IBS or does it treat the ibs which takes away the anxiety. Curious about your opinion

·
Registered
435 Posts
Pete, for me the drug has worked for both anxiety and depression. I am not too sure if it has helped with the Ibs because my Ibs is so random. I am usually C but occasionally get D, but the most worry I have is with cases of D. I could be C forever, but I get anxiety about the diarrhea. I think with less anxiety in my life, which the serzone has helped me with, I have less IBS episodes. . .I think. Like I said, it is hard to tell what has helped or not.Guy, I have a question for you/What do you know about taking serzone and tricyclic antidepressants together. I take 250 mg of serzone, and recently a doc prescribed Imprimine ( i think thats the name). Anyhow, I have been taking 20mg of this tricyclic with the serzone. Any thoughts?LALA

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pete, I totally agree with LaLa. It helps with the anxiety and therefore naturally that's gotta help the IBS somewhat. I get really anxious when having to go anywhere for fear of an unexpected episode of cramps and D. The Serzone just kinda helps to keep my thoughts more under control.------------------"A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother". (C/D-type)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Guy, thanks for your response. I was on Anafranil and couldn't tolerate the side effects. Prozac has helped with checking rituals (they're gone) so am afraid to try Luvox. Belong to the OCD society and Have read little difference between the two. My mind rambling, according to them is best treated with cognative emotive therapy. They recenly said no effective meds for this. But Luvox might be worth a try. As I said before my Doc wants me try Remeron. Do you think I can take it with Prozac? Will check with my Doc he's into combo meds with one augmenting another. Am now also on low dose desipramine which he fells I don't need!How much do you charge for all these consultations!! Thanks,vikee

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the info Guy. I've been on all of these meds, with the exception of reboxetine. I can't find any info about this drug - is it available in the U.S.? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LALA,Your doctor knows your situation better than I, so taking Serzone and TCAs is probably OK.The only possible interaction between TCAs and Serzone I'm aware of is that Serzone may cause low blood pressure in people also taking tricyclics.Vikee,I'm not sure there would be much point to taking Prozac and Remeron together. Remeronwould block much of Prozac's effects. Prozac stays in the body for quite a while after you stop using it (unlike other SSRIs)so perhaps tapering down the dose slowly while on low-dose Remeron would be the way to start. You might be less likely to suffer SSRI withdrawal symptoms, since Remeron would block most of those. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor drugs such as Prozac do differ in subtle ways, so one might work where others did not. Luvox was originally approved as an OCD drug, rather than as an antidepressant, and it does have a slghtly different chemical makeup compared to Prozac or other SSRIs. Badfoot,To the best of my knowledge, Reboxetine has not yet been approved in the US. It is available elsewhere, though, and its side effect profile seems benign enough that I would be surprised if Reboxetine were not eventually be approved here. Reboxetine has no effects on serotonin or dopamine. Reboxetine acts to inhibit the reuptake pumps for norepinephrine only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone used BuSpar as a treatment for IBS? Has anyone been put on BuSpar for anxiety and then had it help their IBS symptoms? They do know it affects seratonin and possibly dopamine, but because I've got migraines and IBS (D-type) I wondered if it would be useful.Thanks,Diane

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Guy,Thanks for all the information. It is truely appreciated. Will talk with my Doc about all this and will keep you updated when or if I start Remeron. Hope you continue to feel well. vikee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts