Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first time to the website and after reading a lot of your posts, it made me feel like im not so isolated from the world. Currently I suffer from IBS (both diarahhea and constipation) since I was a 17, and I'm currently 24. At this point in my life I'm finishing up my M.B.A in finance, but the stress of once I get into the real world and find a job where I won't be consistenly looking for the bathroom sign worries me greatly. I take medication as well. It was a huge blow to me in high school since I played three sports a year and had a received a scholorship to play football in college. Either way, I hid that I had it from friends and soldiered on by playing division I college football for 3 years before it became too much. The stress, anxiety, constant being on the move, and lifestyle made my stomach spiral out of control to the point where I was like F it. As well as being in a fraternity in college and living in a house with 50 guys made it sometimes impossible to hide and drinking only accelerted my symptoms. I personally have only still told my family about my IBS and have never being able to tell my past girlfriends that I suffer from it. I think that is the point that hurts the most when it comes to hiding it. It's weird for me to be so forthcoming since I pride myself on being a man, but yet after passing this site, I felt the need to share my story since all of you did as well. I guess I am very much of a closet IBS sufferer, so any advice on treatments or recomendations would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
First of all, welcome. I hate that so many people are currently suffering from IBS, but it feels good to know that I'm not completely alone. I originally joined the board in the first year of my diagnosis (about 5 years ago), and I think it really made a difference. During the more intesive part of school, I dropped off the board and I just returned to it a few months ago and it's nice to have that feeling again. Fortunately my IBS has been under pretty good control for the last 2-3 years, but I still get the occasional flare up, plus I like to do what I can for other sufferers!Do you have a doctor who follows your IBS regularly? I think that finding a good doctor who understands you and you trust is an important first step. You didn't list your specific symptoms and what medications you've tried, so I won't speculate on further treatment.I know that IBS is a difficult thing to talk about, but try to let those close to you know. I hid my issues for quite some time, and I think it would have helped me to be more up front about it earlier on. I had the same boyfriend pre-IBS and throughout the whole course, and I wish I would have let him know sooner...He's now my husband and deals with the IBS quite well. I've been pretty lucky to have understanding people in my life, and I hope you have the same in yours.If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask - We're all here for you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently I do see a GI doctor for my IBS. I have flare ups about very four days or so on a regular basis. Besides that I usually rarely have a solid stool. I wake up at night many times with stomach cramps as well. Currently i'm taking Diphen/Atropine and Immodium. My doctor plans on putting me on a new medication that has an anti-dpressent in it. He said it wont alter my state of mind since it will only be 30 mg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did they ever try you on antispasmodics? Examples of this are levsin, levbid, bentyl, etc. Some people find they help with the cramping and diarrhea. I have heard others say that it just increases their pain. Personally, I controlled my IBS with a combination of bentyl 20 mg 3 times daily (taken a half hour before meals), paxil CR 12.5 mg daily, and continuous birth control (my periods were a huge trigger for IBS). I also used imodium as prophylaxis for important events - before car trips, before my wedding, while I'm on vacation. I went off bentyl about a year ago, and I went off paxil in March. Still on the birth control and using imodium and I've done well. I was very skeptical of going on an antidepressant at first, but I think the paxil really did wonders for me. Do you know which medication they're planning on putting you on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts