Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a short background: I've always been told since I was little that I always had stomach problems. I was the only child in elementary school who carried a bottle of Tums. 2 years ago I finally gave in and had surgery for my Hiatal Hernia that I had since I was born. After a terribly long recovery, I started dry-heaving daily and for hours at a time and when the dry-heaving ended the diarrhea began. My family doctor, kept taking blood and telling me I was fine. I went back to my surgeon and told her my symptoms and I was getting really concerned. She sent me for a HIDA Scan and EGD. I was rushed into surgery to remove my gallbladder and I was diagnosed with another Hiatal Hernia. I now have switched family doctors and had a check-up which she diagnosed me with IBS w/D. I am now taking Bentyl. My question, could the removal of the gallbladder cause the IBS? All the surgeries? The undiagnosis of the gallbladder? I'm just so uneasy about being told I will have to deal with this the rest of my life. At least with the Hiatal Hernia I knew I could get it fixed. There are no fixes for this!! Also, should I be seeing a Gastroenterologist instead of a family doctor for this?

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Sometimes after removal of the gall bladder patients end up with diarrhea. This is usually when more bile gets into the GI tract than can be recycled at the end of the small intestine.Typical ways to cope. Reduce fat in the diet consistantly (you produce bile in proportion to the fat you eat).Some people on the board (LNAPE is one) have found Calcium supplements with meals helps (see her threads on the OTC section of the main board, you can use the Hop To bar below to get there)Questran a bile binding agent can be used to bind the excess bile, and is sometimes used to treat IBS-D when there is no gall bladder issues.With your history it may not be a bad idea to have a GI doctor in on your care, but some Family Doctors are very good at treating IBS, so it varies.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.