Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
These are pretty interesting. I did a google/pubmed search quickly and found links to these:1. This is on cholecystokinin, which appears to play a role in constipation based IBS: http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pat...ine/gi/cck.html 2. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1996 Nov;31(11):1110-4. Related Articles, Links Disturbed motilin and cholecystokinin release in the irritable bowel syndrome.Sjolund K, Ekman R, Lindgren S, Rehfeld JF.Dept. of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden.BACKGROUND: The irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is associated with motor abnormalities in the small intestine and colon. Neuropeptides may have an important role in initiating and regulating the intestinal motility. Motilin has been proposed to initiate the peristaltic reflex in the small intestine and cholecystokinin the gastrocolic reflex. METHODS: In 18 patients with IBS and 11 healthy control subjects plasma motilin and cholecystokinin (CCK) concentrations were measured after intraluminal stimulation of water and a fat-rich meal. RESULTS: The IBS patients had reduced motilin secretion after both water intake and the fat meal. In contrast, the fat meal elicited an exaggerated and prolonged CCK release in the IBS patients. CONCLUSIONS: Disturbed motilin and CCK release may partly be responsible for the intestinal dysmotility in the IBS patients.PMID: 8938905 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] 3. Competition for Lotronex and ZelnormThe dawning realization of the huge potential of the IBS market has seen more activity in R&D. There are many products being developed for IBS in late-stage trials, but none have so far shown greater efficacy over Zelnorm or Lotronex. Forest is conducting Phase III trials for constipation-type IBS with dexloxiglumide, a cholecystokinin-1 antagonist. Analysts at Morgan Stanley expect results from crucial trials in the second half of 2003. Using a different mode of action, dexloxiglumide is taken three times a day, compared to Zelnorm's twice-daily regimen. Analysts say that if the compound is launched by 2005, the battle for market share will be fierce as Novartis' sales and marketing forces for Zelnorm will be well established. Analysts forecast revenues for dexloxiglumide of about a third of Zelnorm's level in the launch year of 2005 and onwards, should Phase III results prove positive, with Morgan Stanley predicting sales of $300 million per annum by 2009. http://www.ims-global.com/insight/news_sto...tory_021122.htm

·
Registered
336 Posts
As for the other two:Corticotropin receptor antagonists1. Corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) has been widely implicated as playing a major role in modulating the endocrine, autonomic, behavioral and immune responses to stress. http://www.biopsychiatry.com/crf1.htm 2.Neurocrine Biosciences (NBIX) And GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Announce Worldwide Collaboration For CRF Receptor Antagonists Including The Phase I Compound NBI-34041 SAN DIEGO, July 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Neurocrine Biosciences (Nasdaq: NBIX) and GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE: GSK) announced today that the two companies signed a worldwide research, development and commercialization agreement for Corticotropin Releasing Factor Receptor Antagonists (CRF-R1 and CRF-R2), an entirely new class of compounds to treat psychiatric, neurological and gastrointestinal diseases including anxiety, depression and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Neurocrine's CRF-R1 Antagonist, NBI 34041, is currently in Phase I development for anxiety and depression. (See Story from BioSpace.com) (7/24/01)(Story from Reuters expired) (7/24/01) http://www.biospace.com/ccis/news_company....yID=2455&SR=101 Nurokinin:1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=Abstract 2. Apparently glaxo (GSK) has a drug out in Phase 1 trials known as talnetant which is a neurokinin-3 antagonist. http://www.ims-global.com/insight/news_sto...tory_021122.htm These all seem really interesting to me. Also makes me want to go and buy stock in Smith Kline!-kac GSK

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. At least it sounds like some new things are in development. It looks like responses are mixed to zelnorm, at least judging from the posts in that forum. I wonder if naltrexone modifies CRF functioning?Bada

·
Registered
336 Posts
Bada, Nope - i know nothing more about that site than that it came up when i did a google search. I have no idea whether or not the comments on it regarding psychological issues are correct (though if they are, in that one article its pretty darn interesting). The line i quoted from it caught my eye because in my mind, having some control (ie: having a drug) over something that "modulates the endocrine, autonomic, behavioral and immune responses to stress" seems pretty useful in an IBS patient. I'm going to look into these a little more when i get the chance -- i'd like to patch some of the drug names into pubmed and spend more time with it. Please pass on any more info.-Kac

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you might also want to track down the naltrexone study that just came out. It involves the immune system, too. In your searches, if the name Mertz comes up, it's probably good research as he's the Vanderbilt doctor looking into these kinds of drugs.Bada

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Bada I've been following the naltrexone developments pretty closely as well -- I'm just glad that the pharm companies finally realized the size of the untapped market which is IBS. -kac

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just got a prescription for the Low Dose Naltrexone at 1.75mg per day for 30 days. Now I just have to find a compounding pharmacy to make the dosage. I am curious about others that may being trying this. I am hoping I have the great results that came from that study they did a short time ago. I will try it for 4 weeks and see what happens. I wonder if I should 1/2 the dosage at first. If anyone is taking this please post your results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.