Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was medically diagnosed with IBS when i was about 11 years old. After much trial and error it was all caused by stress and anxiety from my personal life.I went years without even remembering i had the illness until a few years ago when i was 18, i was in a relationship which was very stressful and it flared it all up again. I ended up terribly skinny from not being able to eat and constantly vomiting. Once i got out of the relationship i ended up healthy, was able to eat again and didnt suffer any pain.Two years after that break up i managed to find a great guy who is so good to me. He loves me and we had a lot of happy times together. Last week however, it flared up again! After being together 6 months i knew it wasnt being with him. I cant eat, i have gut wrenching pains and need to go to the toilet nearly evey 20 minutes. As you all know it's embarrassing! I'm not sure how to stop it. He went on tour for the weekend and i don't know if thats what caused it because everythings great with us and he called me nearly every hour while he was away. I get shakey and nervous because it's a vicious cycle of stomach pains, which leads to me stressing about the pain, which makes it worse and results in me vomiting and crying. It's constant now. I dont want to have to go through this all over again and ruin a relationship that i pretty much live for right now. I didnt know you could get IBS support on the internet etc so...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really need help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe you should talk to your doctor about anxiety meds,,,, or consider what else is going on in your life which is stressing you out (work, family etc), stress can kinda of creep up on you doesn;t have to be a big event, might be something your letting slide in your life which needs addressing.... If you can could be helpful to chat openly to your bf about it, maybe the fact he took of for a gig over the weekend was enough to make you feel a little paranoid , maybe chatting to him would give you some reassurance.. luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree stress can ruin your body. I would talk to your boyfriend and let him now what is going on. Maybe just getting that off your chest to him will help it out. As stated think about your life and any real stresses your having. As you said it isn't him but maybe it is from not letting him know about it. Best of luck I hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry ur not feeling 2 good at mo i am exactly exactly the same although i am 54 and have 2 grown children hubby diagnosed with post traumatic stress i coped fine until approx 4 yrs ago then started full blown panic attacks if i did not know where he was at all times. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and ibs 1 makes the other worse dont seem to control either seeing counsellor and in support group also on diazepam but they r trying 2 get me off them some days r better than others, stress can play havoc i wish mine would just go away. No suggestions as such just 2 make a huge fuss of him when he comes home and b safe in the knowledge he loves and cares 4 u as he phones u every hour and wouldnt do this if he didnt care my hubby has been amazing even though he has his own probs.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Electra - my niece went through a very similar experience to you. She tried gut directed hypnotherapy and she was fully cured. As others have suggested you might try low dose anti-depressants which can be very good for problems such as yours and a lot of people with IBS use them - an anti-depressant called amitriptyline is supposed to be very good for pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.