Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... Lets see... It's been 3 years since I've been diagnosed with IBS... It wasn't until recently that I seached the net for more information... I thought that IBS was some catch all diagnosis that doctors used when they could not pin point the disease... Looking back now... I think that I have had IBS for about the last 6 years or more... I was diagnosed with Insulin Dependant Diabetes when I turned 21.. From that point on the stress in my life went thrugh the roof... When I was told that I had IBS, my stress levels as well as my sugar levels were out of control... IF it wasn't for the caring and understanding of my wife... I don't know where I would be today... It's sad that I'm not the only one suffering with IBS... my wife is suffering right along with me.. It's not fair to her... and after reading postings on this board... I have new hope of finding a way to control my gut.. I'm currently seeing a new family doctor who is understanding of my condition.. and is working with me to find a soultion... I'm currently taking Bentyl twice a day... It seemed to make me constipated at first.. but I've slowly slipped back into my old rutine of racing off to work.. hoping that I won't have to stop along the way.. (from what I've seen here on the board - I'm a "D" sufferer)Once I'm to a "comforable" place... I'm fine for the day.. It's the getting there that's the problem... Alot of times... my trigger is the "what if" that floats around in my head on the way to work or store... etc... The "what if" plus the smallest twinge in my gut and I'm restroom bound.. There seems to be a lot of information here.. more than my doctors have provided to date.. I hope to find the treatment here that will allow me to lead a more normal life...Thanks... ------------------

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the web site eric... I've tried many different meds while seeing another phisician.. I'm very interested in the self hypnosis efforts that people have been discussing here and there... I think that if I can control my "panic" then the rest will fall into place..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the web site eric... I've tried many different meds while seeing another phisician.. I'm very interested in the self hypnosis efforts that people have been discussing here and there... I think that if I can control my "panic" then the rest will fall into place..

·
Registered
922 Posts
MIGUY, your anxiety "trigger" has also been my IBS/D problem for 30+ yrs. We get anxious/nervous about something and the gut responds. Many other people respond with stuttering, blushing, sweating or shaking. A med called Lotronex stopped the gut spasms but is not on the market now but may come back. Otherwise you have to reduce the anxiety to slow the spasms. Meds sometimes help but also sometimes make things worse. Tranquilizers doesn't seem to slow the gut but makes you not care as much. The selfhypno. tapes by Mike are helping a lot of people on this board. The third way is to reduce stress, but if that also means avoidance your quality of life is also reduced. If Lotronex comes back, try it. Try the hypnotapes and if necessary get your MD to let you take a tricyclic antidepressant such as imipramine which can lower stress and IBS/D symptoms some. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
MIGUY, your anxiety "trigger" has also been my IBS/D problem for 30+ yrs. We get anxious/nervous about something and the gut responds. Many other people respond with stuttering, blushing, sweating or shaking. A med called Lotronex stopped the gut spasms but is not on the market now but may come back. Otherwise you have to reduce the anxiety to slow the spasms. Meds sometimes help but also sometimes make things worse. Tranquilizers doesn't seem to slow the gut but makes you not care as much. The selfhypno. tapes by Mike are helping a lot of people on this board. The third way is to reduce stress, but if that also means avoidance your quality of life is also reduced. If Lotronex comes back, try it. Try the hypnotapes and if necessary get your MD to let you take a tricyclic antidepressant such as imipramine which can lower stress and IBS/D symptoms some. Good luck, Norb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Norb... For the life of me.. I cannot figure out what is stressing me out.. Prior to my diagnosis, yes it was job stress related... Now I work for Ford in Scientific Research.. No stress here.. only the stress you make for yourself... I've always thought that I handled stress well... but I've always had the "what if..." question in the back of my mind about alot of little things... I haven't had a vaction in 2 yrs... the last time my wife and I went any where was Atlanta... I spent most of the time in our room.. One night... my wife and I were to go on a home tour... I was to meet my wife at the bus stop.. while waiting.. the "what if" monster reared its' ugly head.. and my gut went into overdrive.. When my wife showed... I told her what was going on.. and asked to go back to the room instead... I told her and I know in my mind that once we started back to the hotel that I would be fine.. Dispite the fact that I was in agony at that point... Sure enough.. we gave up our seats on the tour.. started walking back to the hotel and PooF! All better... I thought that my wife was going to divorce me and or kill me... Not sure in witch order..!! I started taking Calcium last night.. It seems to be helping others here.. thought I'd give it a try... besides.. since all of this started... I thought I was having a reaction to milk products.. so I have cut it out of my diet... Lotronex sounds like it was working for a lot of people... I hope that the FDA re-approves it or finds a safer substitute.. Did you take it...?? Did it help..?-B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Norb... For the life of me.. I cannot figure out what is stressing me out.. Prior to my diagnosis, yes it was job stress related... Now I work for Ford in Scientific Research.. No stress here.. only the stress you make for yourself... I've always thought that I handled stress well... but I've always had the "what if..." question in the back of my mind about alot of little things... I haven't had a vaction in 2 yrs... the last time my wife and I went any where was Atlanta... I spent most of the time in our room.. One night... my wife and I were to go on a home tour... I was to meet my wife at the bus stop.. while waiting.. the "what if" monster reared its' ugly head.. and my gut went into overdrive.. When my wife showed... I told her what was going on.. and asked to go back to the room instead... I told her and I know in my mind that once we started back to the hotel that I would be fine.. Dispite the fact that I was in agony at that point... Sure enough.. we gave up our seats on the tour.. started walking back to the hotel and PooF! All better... I thought that my wife was going to divorce me and or kill me... Not sure in witch order..!! I started taking Calcium last night.. It seems to be helping others here.. thought I'd give it a try... besides.. since all of this started... I thought I was having a reaction to milk products.. so I have cut it out of my diet... Lotronex sounds like it was working for a lot of people... I hope that the FDA re-approves it or finds a safer substitute.. Did you take it...?? Did it help..?-B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.