Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,My name is Shawn. I'm 27 and have suffered with IBS since I was 13.Normally, mine is characterized by frequent diarrhea and very bad intestinal cramps/spasms.I've noticed that as I've gotten older and changed some of my eating habits, my IBS has seemed to improve significantly.However, these past few days have been very rough and I'm not sure if this is actually part of my IBS or if it's something else.Around 2 o'clock in the morning this past Tuesday morning, I was awakened with intestinal cramps and had to run back and forth to the bathroom about twenty times within a six hour period.Here we are a couple days later and my diarrhea has been fairly constant for a good..72 hours or so. I'm wondering if this is part of my IBS or if perhaps I picked up some kind of intestinal virus or maybe a bacterial infection.It's very uncomfortable. I worked the midnight shift last night (I work part time mall security) and, once again, around 2AM I found myself having to run to the bathroom every ten or fifeen minutes with constant watery diarrhea. There has been a little bit of blood (it's pink on the toilet paper) but I think that is probably attributed to the fact that I've been going so frequently that the tissue is being irritated. Another symptom due to going so frequently is that my sphincter muscle began to tense, cramp and spasm very painfully which prevented me from passing anything for a while.Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this my IBS or do you think I am suffering from some kind of intestinal virus and/or food poisoning?Thanks!- Shawn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That many times sounds more like a GI infection. Usually I know when I have a virus or something because I go every 20-60 minutes for hours and hours on end (up to a week long)
Hi Kathleen,I've been kind of thinking the same thing.If it is a GI infection, how long will it last and what is the best way to treat it?And...how exactly does one get a GI infection?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Either you eat food that is contaminated by a bacteria or virus or you touched something that someone with a virus touched soon after they touched it and then touched your face or used your hands to eat something.Usually Imodium if you need it, but most people tend to let it flow if they can and then make sure to drink lots of water and some gatorade or pedialyte or other rehydration formulas.Typically best to eat mostly liquids while the diarrhea is bad, broth, jello, etc. once things start to calm down add things from the BRAT diet (bananas, rice applesauce and toast, assuming you normally tolerate those things) and then start adding back well cooked foods for a few days that tend to be easy on your system before going back to your usual diet.
I just got my prescription of Bentyl filled. I've never taken it before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That should help with cramps, it is a little bit constipating, but is more for pain than diarrhea.
Just talked to my doctor. He's putting me on Flagyl which is a medication (antibiotic?) which eliminates bacteria in the GI tract (as well as other places). So, if this is a bacterial infection, that should do the trick. But, if it's some kind of a viral infection, it will have to go away on it's own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flagyl is only good to kill anerobic bacteria and I believe some parasites too. That's all. If your infection is due to e-coli or another type of bacteria, it will not kill it. Other doctors prefer tetracycline, cipro, avelox or a few more potent. I say this only so that you don't assume it is NOT an infection if this particular AB does not help after a few days.
So far I don't notice a big change, of course, I've only taken 2 doses of the stuff and I'm guessing it takes a while for an antibiotic to start really taking affect.The diarrhea is not even really diarrhea anymore. It's more like..intestinal dry-heaves. I don't really have anything else to poop out right now!I'm still drinking lots of fluid though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.