Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.I am a IBS D/C sufferer, diagnosed almost 20 years ago. Usually kept under control with diet, excerise, etc., except recently....I returned from a trip to the Caribbean two weeks ago and have been suffering from sever constipation, cramps and bloating ever since! 7 days ago was the last time I had my typical BM. During my trip I was plagued with constant diarrea (very mucusy and fowl smelling), so this 360 degree flip has me concerned. Could it be a parasite?? My body trying to find a balance now that I've returned home?Any suggestions, advise welcomed and appreciated.P.S. Great site!! I'll be coming here often!

·
Registered
702 Posts
quote:During my trip I was plagued with constant diarrea (very mucusy and fowl smelling), so this 360 degree flip has me concerned. Could it be a parasite?
Yes. Traveling diarrhea is a common thing among... travelers!
Antibiotics might help and you may even find that they "cure" your IBS at least for a while. Talk to your doctor. He should know and prescribe something like Xifaxan for traveler's diarrhea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nanobug.The diarrhea only lasted as long as the trip and then almost immediately flipped to severe constipation (cramps, bloating, fatigue, etc.) when I returned home.If I had traveller's diarrhea as you suggest, wouldn't I still have it? Or is it a kinder name for 'parasite'?

·
Registered
702 Posts
quote:If I had traveller's diarrhea as you suggest, wouldn't I still have it? Or is it a kinder name for 'parasite'?
Honestly, I don't know. I've seen some suggestions that some infections might linger and continue to cause problem indefinitely. You really need to talk to a doctor about this.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah I second that "talk to your Doc".Also if you took anything to stop the diarrhea.. you could be feeling the effects of that now. But it has gone on a bit long and I would definitely be putting a call into the Doc.Hope you feel better.BQ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.