Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time lurker on this site, just went ahead and registered today. I'd thought I would post.I'm a male, in my mid-20s, married. I'm self-employed, so I don't have the work problems as many here seem to have. I am a member of the Army National Guard, which I go just 2 days a month and two weeks out of the year. My wife is VERY supportive. I've known what my problem is since September of last year (D). I've had problems much of my life, just never knew what it was until my wife talked me into seeing a GI doctor.Guess I'm stubborn, but I don't let it get me down. I eat most of the same stuff I ate before, excpet for salad (which KILLS me). I do try and avoid eating certain things when we go out and do things. I really don't know why I don't eat right, again... I'm stubborn
My family and I are going to Italy this summer and wanted some advice on what to take for my IBS when over there. I LOVE to eat Itailian food, even though it triggers my IBS most of the time. I currently have Levbid for my IBS, but I HATE taking the stuff. Also, again... I'm in the Guard and they go on annual training every year. This year they are going to be out in the woods for two weeks, with nothing but a port-a-potty in the woods. I requested to get out of "annual training" this year, but they medically cleared me! I guess they just don't understand what it's like to have IBS. I told my CO (commanding officer) that I either want out of the AT or I want out of the guard. I'm currently trying to explain to these people what it's like to live with IBS. Anyone ever had this problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Perhaps if you feel you won't be embarrassed, give these people a booklet or pamphlet about IBS to read so they might understand more about what you are going through.IBS was beginning to force me out of my job as I was constantly taking days of work due to the "D" episodes and the pain. Luckily, when I plucked up enough courage to tell my Supervisor about it so she would understand why I needed so much time off being ill/doctors visits, it turned out her Mother and close friend has IBS as well. She realised immediately what I was going through and my working life has been much better for it. I also told the Manager at work and whilst he doesn't 'get' what I'm on about, the supervisor has been telling him where to get off if he revs me for taking time off.If you feel you can explain your situation maybe that will make it easier for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
You may want to try the calcium supplement it has helped a lot of us with diarrhea.Linda

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have trouble too with Italian food. I've noticed it's the cheese, tomato and cream sauces, and I can't tolerate salad either.So I usually don't bother with Italian food. I usually stick with bread, and a simple chicken dish. Actually, I have to go to an Italian restaurant for dinner tommorow, and plan on a simple grilled veal chop.Personally, I do better in the outdoors, where ducking behind a bush to go is not a problem. I'd rather be in a rural setting than stuck in traffic or in a crowded city.While in Italy, watch what you eat, and take some Immodium with you. Have a great time.Florence is my favorite place in the world! If you go, be sure to go see the Michaelangelo Museum. Fantastic.AZ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good luck getting the guard to understand. I'm active duty army with IBS-D. It took ALOT of explaining to my chain of command before they stopped giving me the third degree. It was embarressing explaining my situation to them, but if you have a good GI doctor, he or she should help you obtain a profile for light or restricted duty. I'm currently waiting the results of a medical discharge board because of the limitations IBS has placed on my ability to work as an army nurse and and limited deployment status. For you, IBS is a real illness, and needs to be seen as that. If you get a profile slip for your annual training, you should be OK. If you are forced to go to AT, my advice is to bring plenty of baby wipes and immodium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts