Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

new here and have a question-uneven bloating/swelling...

17K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BQ 
#1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone here seems to appear more bloated/swollen on their left side? i am planning on making a doctor's appt. if i can't get this to relieve itself within the next few days. i can't feel anything there-no lumps/masses... it almost seems as if it's constant, except briefly after waking up. there's no doubt that my entire lower abdomen is bloated/swollen, but it just seems to appear slightly moreso on my left side. i've considered scar tissue (it seems the point that protrudes the most is right to the left of an appendectomy scar from 1993), which i'll ask about, but i've also "heard" that most pain-bloating/swelling that occurs on the left side is related to constipation... has anyone else experienced this or something similar? is it common in ibs to appear more bloated/swollen on the left side or is it more likely that this is either related to a previous surgery or a completely seperate issue? thanks in advance!

#2 ·
but i've also "heard" that most pain-bloating/swelling that occurs on the left side is related to constipation...
Never heard that. But the descending colon is located there so probably all IBS'ers have more sensations going on there.

#6 ·
thanks to those that responded...i did go to the doctor and ask about it... he called it "spastic colitis," which is apparently another term for ibs. no surprise there... told me to eat more fiber. um, yea. i'll get right on that... looks like it's time to completely rearrange my diet... now the real question, how do you get rid of the bloating in general? lol...

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.