Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just joined hoping for some kind of advice. I have been having abdominal pain/bloating/diarrhea/constipation/you name it for MONTHS now. I've been going to the doctor for a few weeks now, and not once has she mentioned IBS. I originally thought I had IBS because of the symptoms, but she was convinced it was my gallbladder. I was also tested for the h. pylori bacteria and that came back negative.Well, I had both an ultrasound and a cat-scan on my gallbladder, and the ultrasound came up saying that there was some kind of blockage...or build up in my gallbladder that the doctor said wasn't serious, and the cat-scan came back showing that nothing was wrong. So now I'm confused and I don't know what's wrong, I just want to get better and I was hoping that maybe someone here could help. Oh, also...I'm hardly ever able to eat anything. I either have no appetite or am afraid of what certain foods will do to my stomach. I drink A LOT of water, but the only foods I can eat without having any pain are things like crackers, sometimes soup, and just generally really bland foods. I've lost a lot of weight as well and it's just getting hard to deal with. Should I ask my doctor about IBS??? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
~Christina~

·
Registered
709 Posts
christina,yeah, definitely push your doc for some more tests and mention ibs...so many doctors just don't take stomach probs like these serious enough, but if the symptoms you're getting are that disruptive--you gotta get a diagnosis. then, go from there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Christina!The 83 on the end of your name leads me to believe we may be the same age. My first piece of advice-- find a NEW DOCTOR. A doctor who has seen your symptoms and STILL hasn't suggested IBS is the type of doctor who is likely to blow you off if you suggest it-- it happened to me. Your symptoms sound like IBS to me. However, IBS is basically a stomach problem that isn't something else-- meaning it isn't Crohn's, it isn't colitis, it isn't gall bladder, etcetera. IBS is basically the absence of all other problems, but is definitely a very real diagnosis. Find a doctor who will look at you more closely-- I would strongly recommend a colonoscopy. It sounds like a nightmare, but it's better than living like an invalid, and in the long run, it really isn't that bad. Better to have all the other problems ruled out before, just for peace of mind.You didn't mention whether your doctor was a gastroenterologist or not. If your doctor is a general physician, she might not have the knowledge to diagnose stomach problems. When I first started having mine, my general physician told me to relax and drink milk of magnesia. Very bad diagnosis. So make sure you find a GOOD GI doctor, and make sure he/she acknowledges that IBS is a very real problem. Unfortunately, there are GI doctors out there who think IBS is in the mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts