Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past couple of years I have suffered random stomach attacks that I'm starting to think may be IBS. I've done a little research on IBS and I don't really have ALL the symptoms that it describes and I don't know what could have triggered it but I wanted to hear opinions from those of you who do have it and have been diagnosed and treated for it.....does this sound like IBS?- Doesn't happen very often...maybe once every 2-3 months??-No apparent trigger that I can identify. It's very random. I never know when it's going to happen.-Usually happens in the middle of the night, I'll wake up with severe stomach pain/cramps. Maybe once or twice it's occured during the day...but usually at night. The worst attacks are during the night.-What happens is I will wake up with SEVERE stomach pains/cramps....so bad that I start sweating and get nauseated. It will start and stop a few times then finally I will use the bathroom (usually diarrhea, sorry TMI) and then it's over and I'm fine. The whole process from first pain until it's over can last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours. My last attack lasted on and off every 20 mintues or so until finally I was able to go to the bathroom several hours later.-I have no other symptoms except the horrid stomach pain and diarrhea. No fever or nausea or anything BEFORE the attack happens. My first symptom is the stomach pain and like I said, it's very random.So what do you think? Does this sound like IBS? Right now I am 16 weeks pregnant and so far have had 2 major attacks since becoming pregnant. They were bad ones, almost like being pregnant makes the attacks worse. The first one when I was about 8 or 9 weeks, the second one just last night, at 16 weeks.It's just SOO painful and I'm worried that the attacks might hurt the baby?? Cause uterine contractions?? I don't know...I just don't know enough about the condition yet but would love to hear experiences/opinions/advice from those of you who have this or know someone who does. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this is a chronic problem, since it's been going on for 2-3 years now...it's just not something that happens daily or even regularly. But there has to be some kind of reason? And everytime it's the same thing.......bad bad stomach pain stopping and starting then finally diarrhea then it's over. Gotta be a reason?

·
Registered
5 Posts
your best bet is just to go to the doctor and tell him your symptoms, get a colonscopy so they can check your intestines to see if anything is wrong.sorry if im no help, i have as many questions as you when it comes this disease

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well since I am pregnant right now, I don't have many options as far as diagnosing/testing/treatment right now until after I have the baby. That's why I was really just trying to get some info right now so I'll know more.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Have you spoke to your GP/Doctor about what has been happening to you?I do get attacks like you describe,my GP says it is my IBS.Have you spoken to your Doctor at the Maternity Hospital you are going to also?They should take a note of everything in your casenotes for reference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.