Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part my bowels are fine...except when I have panic attacks. Then...it's like...immediate abnominal pain...and big time DIARRHEA! I've even developed a fear of losing my bowels....which of course...get's me nervous and triggers loose stools.I've always had PAD throughout my life...but have managed to learn how to live with it and through it. But now I've developed this symtom which really restricts my social activities...church life etc.I've tried taking Ibuprofen for the cramps and Immodium before an event that stresses me. But they don't work.Also, and I know this is gross...but the smell is extremely ACIDIC. My dh and I are currently taking foster parenting classes. We are only in our third class...this last one I did have a good p/a that triggered the usual diarrehea. Isn't there anything I can take to prevent this? I know I'm blurting out here in my first post...sorry. Thanx for this site..and I'm glad I'm not alone
Blessings,Robin

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe if you could get your doctor to give you something for the panic attacks that would help with you D if your D is attributed to your panic attacks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Robin- I've been there, done that regarding the stress bringing on a panic attacks/anxiety bringing on D. I have been taking Zoloft for almost 5 months and it's helping tremendously with the anxiety/pa, which in turn lessens the stress and the D. It's almost like the symptoms are being reversed and canceling each other out (if that makes sense). I also started taking calcium about 4 weeks ago (a hint from this board) and have had very good results with that as well. I've only had 1 (yes that was 1) episode of D in 4 weeks.I hope that things work out for you - Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx. I take St.John's Wort and learn coping skills for the p/a's. I prefer to stay off of anti-depressants, etc.Also, I'm not insured...so doc visits are on an emergency only basis
Blessings,robinwhat about beta-blockers? They 'block' signals don't they?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Firstly go to the anxiety forum you may get some help there.Visualisation and deep breathing helps me to relax to some degree before siutations I know stress me, Yoga helps to kepe me calm in general although I dont get there as much as Id like.I take an immodium before functions I know will set off an attack to help calm the fear (that I may have D which is my trigger for anxiety).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi...I have found an herbal tincture that helped induced an overwhelming feeling of well-being. (and that's what the package says too). It is called Rescue Remedy. Some drops on or under the tongue when an attack in coming on or even during helped me tremendously. I do take Xanax too though for the really really bad ones, but rarely.Kimba

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would also like some information on the Rescue Remedy - what exactly is it, where can I get it, how long does it last and does it have immediate results. Thanks so much for any information you can provide. I also get panic attacks and when I do I drink 1 beer really fast and it calms me down for about 3 hours after. But can only do this when not working.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rescue Remedy is a Bach flower essence you can get them from any health store most Chemists over here also stock them. I take them in tablet form just dissolves under the tongue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Safety..I did do a google search yesterday using the words, "Bach Rescue Remedies" and got several places to purchase this.Still thinking about it
Have a great day.Robin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts