Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..nice to find this place..been kind of lost the past few months. I was recently diagnosed as having IBS..thanks to many, many tests..the most recent one being a colonoscopy..nothing wrong there, but the pains I have been having are attributed to IBS, says my gastro doc. So, now where do I go? I am so scared, anxious, depressed...I feel that my life is inside this house..I am so bloated that I feel that I have helium in my guts. I am set up to see the doc next week to see what treatment is going to be, plus he is supposed to send me to a nutritionist to help me find ways to eat better...but, I want to know from you guys..people that have dealt with this stuff and are STILL dealing with it..how do you do it?? I can only get so much advice from a doctor, but for someone that is not dealing with it, how can he honestly tell me what to do? The gas pains, the bloating, stomach distention..rectal pains, cramps after eating..it's unreal! Any advice you all can give me will be appreciated GREATLY..I mean it..I really need to know where to go from here. Fiber supplements, exercise..also how do you all fight the depression/anxiety blues? My hubby is about spent with dealing with all of this..I feel so bad for him..he is dealing the best he can, but I don't know much longer he can deal with the tired me..please help! Thank you all for listening and God Bless!Deb

· Registered
1,722 Posts
Welcome to the group Debb66...
Please do not lose hope. I found it here on the BB, and a lot of great friends with expertise on your problems. I have spent many years dealing with the very same problems. The only thing that has ever helped me is an antidepressant. It deals with several issues of IBS. Serotonin was the angle I had to address. Please read all info you can on Eric's posts. You will find many answers from him. I know how you feel about your husband having a hard time dealing with the problem you have. My deceased husband could not understand either, because he never dealt with the pain and embarrasement one suffers. It was when he passed away that I discovered the wonders of antidepressant medication. You might ask your doctor's advise, and don't be afraid to try them. They have been a God send to me. Hope to see you on the BB more :love:

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome to the BB.
The one thing I have learned here is what works for one person, doesn't for another. So, you really need to open your mind to things and be prepared for trial and error. It can get very frustrating.How do most of us survive this? Taking things day by day. Celebrating the small things as they come to us. And getting support when we need it.I'm IBS D, as compared to your bloating. I really found that keeping a dietary and stress log really helped me find my triggers. I also learned what exercises I can do and not do. Right now I am bellydancing and I really enjoy and like that. Swimming is also something I can do. And hike when I can. (okay...not when it is as cold as this!)Take things in steps. Don't take leaps or you will get disappointed and that is hard. IBS people seem to be at risk for depression as well. And no wonder; we have a society against us that does not understand. And so many of us have "brains" that are normal trapped inside a body that won't do what we want. Like banging our heads against a brick wall.Never feel what you want to ask is stupid. This is a place people can talk about being 27 years old and crapping their pants. Use the search function and see if it has been asked before. It likely has, but there are so many new people that you may get new perspectives on things.Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing you around here.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys for answering so soon. I got up today with the usual tiredness, soreness and needing to rush to the bathrooom as usual. I call it my throne..all I need now is a tiara. I find that my depression is getting worse as the days go by..I work a very stressful job in a VERY stressful environment, which I know makes it worse. At one time, I was on Celexa..it made me gain weight, plus have no sex drive whatsoever. But, then again, who has a sex drive when you feel like you are going to blow up from the bloating of your stomach?? I am going to talk to my doc this week about another anti-d to help me possibly..I know for sure that I HAVE to learn to eat better and get more fiber..that is a biggie right now. I hope and pray that gives me some relief, but I don't know how much. My family situation is somewhat bad too..for my mother, father and sister deal with many depressing bouts and I have always had to be the "strong" one..now that I am not well, I feel the guilt from not being there for them, and it is making my situation worse...God help me..help all of us. Please find a cure for this..please. Again, thanks to all of you for reading this and please try to have a good week.Deb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.