Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've had problems with IBS since I was a kid, but I never got diagnosed with it until today. I'm a 24 year old student so it will be nice to be able to finish school without the constant problems and missing classes. I was given some medication that is supposed to help so I'm crossing my fingers. Does anyone have any advice for someone that is newly diagnosed?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi, BeatlesFan
I'm pretty new, too -- diagnosed last day of last Nov. I'm still in the process of trying stuff out, too... But there's tons of things to read here on this BB and everyone is so nice and helpful!Welcome!
P.s., I tried avtivia yogurt and fiber so far, they're both kinda helpful, though not ideal...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried Bentyl? My doctor gave this to me, but I've had no luck so far. I wanted to avoid medication and try just eating differently. Fiber and activia helped me a little too. Does anyone go the supplement route? Someone told me about a produce called Reliv that is suppose to help those that suffer with IBS, but I can not find it in stores.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have two things that really trigger IBS-D for me. Fat is absolutely a killer; greasy food with a lot of fat usually means a strong D for me. Another one is coffee, but not just as strong. Eeverything is else I can eat, just not in large portion. So, the basic idea is to avoid fat and coffeine, and eat small portions but more often.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I've been using a flavonoid supplement (grape seed, ginko, etc.) that has kept it at bay for over 7 years.Mark

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi BeatlesFan - and Welcome!I posted on another thread in this forum so if you wish, you can take a peek at that - but I just wanted to say I think it is so cool you are a BeatlesFan- my son is your age and is a musician and plays their covers - my daughter has met George Harrison's sister and we both have met the Beatles' first manager, and of course have seen Paul in concert. So just to say - a bit of something in common there!Yep, I know, I am off topic, got a bit carried away - sorry!Anyway, welcome to the BB! Please take a look at the links below for what helped me - I wish I had done this first before all the medications and hospital stays I went through... nothing is a total cure for everyone, but it may be helpful - and read all you can on this BB, and research too....I had severe D and anxiety related to having IBS attacks - lots of pain and missed a lot of life; but there is hope and a lot of treatments out there, just read about each one. Nothing works as a cure for everyone, but there are options.If you have any questions, let us know - we are all here to support!"All ya need is love..."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Marilyn- I've loved the Beatles since I was a kid. My mother got me hooked on them. I love John Lennon-Wish I had the change to see him. I did get to see a few of Ringo Starr's tours. I was put on Dicyclomine 10mg. It does seem to be helping a bit, but I caved and took imodium anyway because I'm afraid to go to class without taking something. The doctor asked me if I was a nervous person and I really am NOT. BUT when the pain starts and whenever I had to go somewhere and I knew I couldn't just leave I would make it worse because I would freak out. I had to have surgery on my foot last April and it was a big deal because a tumor was growing in the bone. It was fine in the end, but I had 2 casts and a lot of follow-up appointments. It drove me crazy because I knew I had to go to the appointments but I was nervous to leave my house. Sorry for babbling but my Mom has a mild case of IBS and other than talking to her about it I keep it all in. Its nice to be able to speak about all of this. I do have a question. I have a hard time getting up in the morning, OK I'm not a morning person but the real problem is d. I have tried hardly eating at all the day before but it doesn't matter. I'm going to school to be a teacher and I would have to be there early and that just kills me. Does anyone experience this or have any suggestions??

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
HI again,Yep, I am not a morning person either. I had to get up really early and try to get the D out of the way - but no matter how early I got up, it seemed that just before I had to leave the house, was when it would "kick in" with the pain and big D. I took Imodium all the time - usually exceeding the dose, the doc said it was OK for me. I was on Dicyclomine, as well as Bentyl, Levsin, Donnatel, Belladona - you name it, I was on it. The gastros said that in order for it to be effective, you had to have the side effect of "dry mouth" - so they upped the dosages gradually over time, until they were no longer effective for me - but I had the dry mouth anyway - and the D.I had surgery on my foot three times and my biggest worry was getting to the bathroom in time with crutches - I eventually got a small office chair on wheels and that got me there faster... I guess my suggestion to you since I am old enough to be your mom and went through the IBS when my son (23) was born, is to try the hypno along with the meds and see what happens. You arent putting another chemical in your body, and it might just help you break that mind-gut connection that really kicks in the morning.I didn't eat all day and I still had problems - even when in the hospital on IV only and on donnatel. The hypno really helped me, especially with morning stuff - I am not cured, but I am a lot better than before.If you want to consider trying the hypno, you and or your mom can call 877-898-2539 and leave a good time to talk to ya and your time zone. But only if you want to. I do speak with lots of IBS patients all over the US and Canada, and having had IBS myself, I have heard every type of IBS and problem.If I can help, let me know - and in the meantime, research and read all you can. There is a lot of info here and we are all here to support. There are lots of research and clinical studies showing that hypno is helpful especially for anxiety and the IBS mind-gut connection.That is so cool you saw Ringo - my daughter saw him on his tour also. We sort of laugh though, because we remember his stint as Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station - along with George Carlin! There was a really good article on John Lennon last year for the 25th anniversary of his death. Imagine is one of my favorite songs...Well, I am sure others will reply, as many people do experience the morning thing.. hope you find some answers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi! Welcome!! I'm still new, too - diagnosed just a few months ago.I was on Bentyl, but it didn't seem to help a lot, so now I'm on Symax/NuLev. They're not enough for me on their own, so I still take Immmoidum almost every day. I was lucky in that I started Bentyle over christmas break, so I could go without immodium for a couple weeks to see if it helped. If you can, you should, but I definitely understand wanting Immodium because of classes!I say you should start a food diary. I did, and it helped me to pinpoint trigger foods, and foods I did well on. I logged every supplement/medication I took, as well as what food I ate, and when I had a BM. I recorded all of these with the times.Other than that... just reaading a lot on the board has been helping me! A lot of people do well on different medications/supplements, and now I do feel like I have more options. Everywhere I go, I keep an "IBS emergency kit", which is a little makeup bag in which I stuffed an extra pair of underwear, Immodium, anti-spasmodics, and matches. Every time I leave class because I feel D coming on, I bring it just in case. I've never had to use the extra pair of underwear... but just having it makes me feel safe! Talk to your professors and tell them that you've been diagnosed and have a digestive issue that might make you leave class suddenly and a bit more often than the regular student. Most of my professors have been fine with it since I told them. And just knowing that I have their permission to leave suddenly if I need to really decreases my anxiety - and, therefore, makes me have fewer attacks in class!My advice is to just do what you need to do. For me, that included drug experimentation, a few visits to a psychiatrist, and telling a few of my friends and all of my professors. I also drive places whenever I can - just feeling in control of the car makes me feel better than if I'm a passenger in a friend's car, I dont' know why! I mean, it's little things, and little quirks, but they help. I've finally settled into what seems to be a comfortable routine with my supplements, and Immodium every morning, and I try not to give myself a hard time for backing out of parties, etc. if I don't feel well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:just feeling in control of the car makes me feel better than if I'm a passenger in a friend's car
I FEEL THE SAME WAY! I have a hard time working with this so I'm trying very hard to do all I can so I can graduate and get a job. I do some tutoring but it doesn't do much but pay for the doctor visits and the imodium. Until then I live at home because living at school with this was a nightmare. My car is old and I could ride places with my family but I insist on taking my own car because I feel like I have control. My dad thinks I'm crazy but it just makes me feel a little better to know that I can go if I have to. It's so nice to hear someone else feels the same way.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't know if it's because then I can speed if I need to to get to a bathroom on time, or if maybe it just gives me something routine to think about and calms me down instead of sitting in the passenger seat and having nothing to do but think about my IBS! Either way.... my friends don't complain much. I save them gas money!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just received my "official" diagnosis yesterday, but I've known for years that I had IBS. Still trying to get my hands on everything I can to read. Glad to have found this BB.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Bentyl is an antispasmodic; it's not an anti-diarrheal. One helps with the cramping, the other is to help stop the diarrhea. I took Bentyl for years, but noticed a few months ago, that it was making me feel almost sick within a couple hours of taking it, so I switched to Levsin and that did nothing, so then I tried Librax and 'voila, I hit upon one that works great on my cramping. But I still take Immodium for when I have to be out and about. Welcome to the board! Lots of good information here and support!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts