Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Karen I'm 22 and from NJ.I've have this problem since I guess about 5th grade(19990) I guess I'm an emotional person.......it all started when I was getting nervous about going to middle school-ever since then I've had it. When I was really little like elementary school I had stomach problems as well but upper.........I had an Upper GI done and nothing was found, I used to get so nervous for school that I'd lose my breakfast every morning. By middle school I could no longer tolerate soda and milk, and had constant bouts of D and C. Mosly D........There was a sleep away trip for school and I really didn't want to go cuz of D I used to take bottles of a medicine call Donnagel(sp)it then that would cause C. Didn't end up going on the trip anyways. I have alternating bouts of both but I'd say I'm more D. I knew there was something wrong with me for the longest time but I'm known as the family's hypochondiac so I was pretty much ignored.Finally 2 years ago when I was in college I went to a Gastro and he did a colonoscopy on me and found no evidence of swelling or disease so he said I had IBS. He didn't feel that I needed medication and said take as much Immodium as I wanted and said try counseling.......he said I need to learn to control my emotions and he said biofeedback has been found to be helpful. Before I saw him a psychiatrist prescribed Librax, it was a wonder drug for me, it controlled all my symptoms, but my mother made me stop going to that doctor.....she was a bit of a quack and was prescribing drugs to everyone,ex. if she found out my mom was having a bad time with my elderly grandparents, she'd give my mom a few pills to feel better. My mom is very anti medicine she thinks I need to learn to control myself. I have attacks for no reason. Right now there are so many things I can't eat......breads bother me 90% of the time especially bagels and pretzles, spaghetti, steak, corn, potatoes. I'm so frustrated, it doesn't always happen but it's enough to make going out with friends a problem. The only drink is really soda, I never drink it when i'm out, I get horrific gas pains, but at home i'll occasonally have a can. Alcohol........I really haven't been that observant about, I get a crampy feeling in my abdomen but only with certain things usually hard stuff and beer, mixed drinks are ok.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Karen Welcome to the board. Some of what you're saying sounds a lot like what I have been through. Started when I was a teen although I didn't recognize it so much then except for crampy feelings after dinner mostly. Got worse in college. Finally after some major pains, I went to a doctor who did some tests and diagnosed spastic colon (the old name
) I used donnatol for a while but then stopped because I was doing better and really didn't realize it was a chronic problem. Besides, the cramping I used to get in high school almost every night stopped in collge. I later realized I was lactose intolerant - mom served us milk every night but I skipped it at college.I was diagnised a few years later with IBS and formally with lactose intolerance. Doctor told me fiber. It helped for a while but not great. I [pretty much struggled to get any handle on it until a couple of years ago when I found this board. Doctors were never that helpful to me. I should say that I have IBS D/C - meaning I alternate between the two.Here are some things to look into on the board - things people have found work for them. This is off the top of my head:- food intolerances or allergies - this is more than just triggers I think- calcium carbonate for D (add some magnesium if it constipates you - I've had to find a balance)- immodium, even as a preventive although again watch for constipation- other medications like anti-depressants, anti-anxiety. serotonin also controls the gut so getting that worked out helps some people- anti-spasmodics like levsin; peppermint is a natural anti-spasmodic too. I'll drink tea if feeling a little upset- midny/body therapies like hypnotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapymostly, read a lot and ask a lot. you'll get a lot of great support. and just knowing you're not alone helps so muchnancy

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hi Karen, Welcome to the BB! I can relate to your story about Librax. I started taking Librium in high school, then Valium, and so on. I've never gotten off the benzos, although now I take a very low dose of Klonopin. So your mom was right to be worried about taking the pills on a long-term basis. Short-term use is fine, however, so you may want to find a doctor who will prescribe some when you have a really bad attack. Long-term you may benefit from hypnotherapy (see Mike's tapes) or psychotherapy (to deal with anxiety). I can't tolerate soda, I don't know how you do it. It really gives me a bad case of gas. I find that starches, especially bread and pasta are bad news. Dairy products are particularly troublesome. Small amounts of protein and vegetables with no butter are about the only things that don't bother me when my IBS flares up. Onions are a killer. I try to avoid them. There was a time when I couldn't eat virtually anything without it bothering me, but now I'm on an IBS medication and can tolerate most foods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.