Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting 8 years ago, my digestive tract gets out of whack once every few weeks. I call it a "toxic reaction" because it feels like food poisoning. I get abdominal pain, diarrhea, low-grade fever, and a strong sense of physically being out of balance. If it's bad enough, I'll spend half the night vomiting. After 2-18 hours, I start feeling better. In between reactions, I feel fine & have regular bowel function.I've been fine-tuning my diet for years. I know dairy is a trigger. The weird thing is sometimes I can feel the reactions starting 3-4 days ahead of time, and those don't seem diet-related. For the last couple of years, the reactions haven't been as painful, but they've been more frequent and I am sick to death of never knowing when I'm going to be throwing up till the wee hours.I've been to a couple of GI docs. I've had a colonoscopy and small-bowel follow-through; all looks normal. My current doc says my symptoms aren't typical of IBS, but that's the best fit he can find. He says I don't have CVS.What I want to know is -- does anyone else out there have a pattern like this? If so, what has helped you? Doctors can be useful, but there's nothing like going to the horse's mouth.
Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, Marriah, I'm amazed -- I thought I was the only one with these symptoms. I'm sorry you have them too, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. Any tips for me? I'm on a new fiber regimen (Citrucel) & hoping that will help.I'd love to chat, but must take a raincheck. I'm really beat tonight. Maybe tomorrow evening, or this weekend?Regarding gallbladder, I asked my GI doc about it and he didn't think it was an issue for me, I forget why. I don't have trouble digesting oil & fat, FWIW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, Marriah, I'm amazed -- I thought I was the only one with these symptoms. I'm sorry you have them too, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. Any tips for me? I'm on a new fiber regimen (Citrucel) & hoping that will help.I'd love to chat, but must take a raincheck. I'm really beat tonight. Maybe tomorrow evening, or this weekend?Regarding gallbladder, I asked my GI doc about it and he didn't think it was an issue for me, I forget why. I don't have trouble digesting oil & fat, FWIW.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lissa, you can e-mail me of a good time you'd like to chat. Sometime this weekend sounds good to me. marriah###themail.com What are all your symptoms exactly? How do you know you are going to get sick? Sometimes I can tell I am going to get sick because I start burping a lot, and it tastes like throw up.Most of the time, though, it just hits me out of the blue. I have no idea why I get sick when I do. It starts with sudden nausea, and after about an hour, I throw up ( over and over). After throwing up, I have about 3 or 4 minutes till the pain and nausea start again, getting worse and worse till I finally throw up again. I have diarrhea during all this. I am sick from 12 hours to 2 days. I can not move during this time. I get extreemly thirsty, but if I try to drink anything, or swallow my spit, it makes my stomach hurt even worse. I also salivate excessively. The pain is intense, the nausea is horrible. I get sick sometimes once a week, sometimes go a couple months with no bouts.Where is your pain located? Mine is my upper, middle stomach. When I start feeling better, I am soooo grateful. But then, I get totally paranoid. I think, "When am I going to get sick again? Will it be next week, or a month from now?" Every time I burp, I make sure it doesn't taste like throw up. I cry a lot thinking about getting sick. I am so scared.
So, does any of this sound familiar? Any similarites?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lissa, you can e-mail me of a good time you'd like to chat. Sometime this weekend sounds good to me. marriah###themail.com What are all your symptoms exactly? How do you know you are going to get sick? Sometimes I can tell I am going to get sick because I start burping a lot, and it tastes like throw up.Most of the time, though, it just hits me out of the blue. I have no idea why I get sick when I do. It starts with sudden nausea, and after about an hour, I throw up ( over and over). After throwing up, I have about 3 or 4 minutes till the pain and nausea start again, getting worse and worse till I finally throw up again. I have diarrhea during all this. I am sick from 12 hours to 2 days. I can not move during this time. I get extreemly thirsty, but if I try to drink anything, or swallow my spit, it makes my stomach hurt even worse. I also salivate excessively. The pain is intense, the nausea is horrible. I get sick sometimes once a week, sometimes go a couple months with no bouts.Where is your pain located? Mine is my upper, middle stomach. When I start feeling better, I am soooo grateful. But then, I get totally paranoid. I think, "When am I going to get sick again? Will it be next week, or a month from now?" Every time I burp, I make sure it doesn't taste like throw up. I cry a lot thinking about getting sick. I am so scared.
So, does any of this sound familiar? Any similarites?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quote:What are all your symptoms exactly? How do you know you are going to get sick?
I know I'm going to get sick when I get a particular weird feeling in my low abdomen, which progresses to mild sharp pain within a few hours. I also lose my appetite, develop a low-grade fever (maybe 99.2), and get physically off-balance -- when I've done yoga & martial arts, I can't stand on one leg without falling over. I feel "off".I don't always notice these symptoms immediately, but once the reaction is underway, I can see that they've been developing for hours or even a couple of days. Last time I had a reaction, I wasn't sure, so I took my temp. 99.3. So I knew it was starting.When I'm in the middle of a reaction, I want NOTHING by mouth. No water, no food, no meds. I can force myself to drink or take meds, but my whole body tells me not to. The weird thing is that I don't generally feel nauseous until I've puked at least once -- then my stomach feels sick till the reaction starts fading. It's like I know I'm going to puke, but I don't actually feel nauseous, just physically unstable.Sometimes deep, slow breathing can shorten the reactions if they're mild. I'm interested in learning more about biofeedback; I think it might work for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote:What are all your symptoms exactly? How do you know you are going to get sick?
I know I'm going to get sick when I get a particular weird feeling in my low abdomen, which progresses to mild sharp pain within a few hours. I also lose my appetite, develop a low-grade fever (maybe 99.2), and get physically off-balance -- when I've done yoga & martial arts, I can't stand on one leg without falling over. I feel "off".I don't always notice these symptoms immediately, but once the reaction is underway, I can see that they've been developing for hours or even a couple of days. Last time I had a reaction, I wasn't sure, so I took my temp. 99.3. So I knew it was starting.When I'm in the middle of a reaction, I want NOTHING by mouth. No water, no food, no meds. I can force myself to drink or take meds, but my whole body tells me not to. The weird thing is that I don't generally feel nauseous until I've puked at least once -- then my stomach feels sick till the reaction starts fading. It's like I know I'm going to puke, but I don't actually feel nauseous, just physically unstable.Sometimes deep, slow breathing can shorten the reactions if they're mild. I'm interested in learning more about biofeedback; I think it might work for me.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hi Lissa1I use to get the same symptoms as you did with the low grade fever, horrible pain, D, joints would hurt,nausea and vomiting. I also couldnt put not one thing in my mouth no food or water of anything ..It was like even to swallow something would trigger the pain worse...For me I have been able to control my symptoms through some changes in my diet and I use to get very sick and it would come out of nowhere...I have been feeling much better...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hi Lissa1I use to get the same symptoms as you did with the low grade fever, horrible pain, D, joints would hurt,nausea and vomiting. I also couldnt put not one thing in my mouth no food or water of anything ..It was like even to swallow something would trigger the pain worse...For me I have been able to control my symptoms through some changes in my diet and I use to get very sick and it would come out of nowhere...I have been feeling much better...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Last year, I would have said, not me. But after going through the same vomiting/diarrhea bs the other week, I'm thinking, yeah, I go through this too.First time, thanks to this board, I am realizing that it could be IBS-related and not some food poisoning/stomach flu thing. Never made sense before.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Last year, I would have said, not me. But after going through the same vomiting/diarrhea bs the other week, I'm thinking, yeah, I go through this too.First time, thanks to this board, I am realizing that it could be IBS-related and not some food poisoning/stomach flu thing. Never made sense before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.