Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm a 27 y/o male who has been experiencing what I believe are symptoms of IBS for a while now, in increasing severity. It started with an occassional extreme bloating (usually at night), increased to include diarreah, and occassional constipation. It has increased of late as I do suffer from anxiety and the last few weeks have been very intense here (new house AND baby on the way). It's gotten to the point where I ALWAYS have a rumbling, cramping thing going on and I have to use the bathroom 3 to 4 times a day (used to be once, MAYBE twice). Last night, I slept all of 3 hours because because my stomach was bloated, gassy, and rumbling so much. I just began seeing a GI doctor who has just run some tests that I am still waiting for (excluding some other problems mainly). However, he alluded to the fact that he thinks it is probably IBS. he said that anxiety can trigger IBS to flare up, it is not the "root cause" (ie, the anxiety isnt helping, but there's a still a physical problem nonetheless). Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this? I am somewhat concerned because there don't seem to be any medications that men can take (I know the majority of sufferers are women). Are there any at all? The OTC stuff doesn't help AT ALL (imodium, simethicone, etc) and I cannot keep living like this. I'm sure my doctor will give me more info at my next appt, but I was just hoping that someone here could offer some advice. Thanks. It's nice to see others that are dealing with this as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Probably the best thing to do right now is to read posts and other material on this site that fit your specific symptoms. Also, check out the criteria used to arrive at a diagnosis: IBS Rome II Diagnostic Criteria It will help you talk to your GI doc. If the diagnosis is confirmed as IBS, you will likely be the one to take charge and "manage" your situation. There are many ways to do this and, of course, some are better than others. I'm sorry that I cannot offer something more concrete, but we are all so variable and what works for some does not work for others. Many of us came here initially thinking that we were the only ones to feel the way we do. It's always nice to know that we are not suffering alone. This site provides continual reinforcement that we are not. There is a ton of information you can find here but you also need to be very careful. While there's a lot of very good info here, there's also a fair number of rather dubious claims. You will have to judge them for yourself.Good luck and welcome to the board. It's a tough road to follow but this is the place where you may find a map.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.