Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm new here. My name is Sinead and I'm 37. A little background. I live in Hamburg but am from Ireland originally. We moved here last August and since then I've been having problems. I have OCD and panic disorder and use medication for these. I changed meds in August and for some reason that's when all this started even though I don't think it's a side effect of the meds because I have had the condition before. I would love some advice and would try literally anything to get rid of the problem of my daily diarrhoea. It seems to happen mostly in the mornings or after I eat or drink something. Sometimes it will come on in the middle of the day for no reason. I smoke which could be negative but I don't know if it's the cause. I don't drink too much and lately I've even tried cutting out coffee. This is really ruining my life as I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to go anywhere. I used to try taking imodium instants before I went out like I did today but I still get the diarrhoea. My doctor gave me something called Perenterol but I'm literally afraid to take them incase they make it worse. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Use your ocd to your advantage. Keep track of what you eat and how it affects you, not just immediately but for maybe 36 hours. You can control so much. Organize your meals, snacks, drinks into many small packets that you carry with you and plan ahead. This ocd thing is a good tool for panic attacks-you can plan so well and head it off! You aren't scatter brained-you're ocd, so you see it coming and are prepared. I'm the same way, I try to celebrate my so-called affliction and then it becomes a tool in my arsenal. Keep a small lunch box with 'emergency' meds and a change of clothes/wipes/ziploc bag handy in the car. It becomes a habit, like a boy scout, being prepared.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks. I'm new here. My name is Sinead and I'm 37. A little background. I live in Hamburg but am from Ireland originally. We moved here last August and since then I've been having problems. I have OCD and panic disorder and use medication for these. I changed meds in August and for some reason that's when all this started even though I don't think it's a side effect of the meds because I have had the condition before. I would love some advice and would try literally anything to get rid of the problem of my daily diarrhoea. It seems to happen mostly in the mornings or after I eat or drink something. Sometimes it will come on in the middle of the day for no reason. I smoke which could be negative but I don't know if it's the cause. I don't drink too much and lately I've even tried cutting out coffee. This is really ruining my life as I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to go anywhere. I used to try taking imodium instants before I went out like I did today but I still get the diarrhoea. My doctor gave me something called Perenterol but I'm literally afraid to take them incase they make it worse. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.
I can't say that I suffer from my IBS everyday but I get attacks where then I have symptoms that follow with continues diarrhea for a few days. I must say I know the feeling about how you are worried to leave the house. I have had this for about 7 years now and my spells are so bad to the point where I pass out in public restrooms or fall on the ground then get violently ill. I must say the one thing that has helped me this last year or so was working on calming myself down when I felt myself getting sick. I don't know if you can feel the symptoms coming on but for me a few minutes after I eat something I shouldn't have my stomach is instantly gurgling and I know that I will be having an 'episode' within the hour. Up to about a year ago I used to freak out when this happened, I would panic and then that would cause the fainting spells followed by the violent sickness. Now when I feel an attack coming on I make sure to have everything I may need around me such as my phone, a trash can and then I tell myself to relax. I try to concentrate on something else and I work on controlling my bowel movements as much as I can. This normally helps and I still have diarrhea but I am not sick to the point where I can't do anything afterward. Regarding the everyday diarrhea, I would look into the 'BART' diet. I found it a few days ago and it seems to be helping with my symptoms. You eat things that can be digested in the upper GI track such as Bananas, Rice and applesauce, all of which will not put stress on your lower intestines. Also drinking non-caffeinated items is supposed to help. I know personally I used to be a big caffeine addict and now I am down to two cups. So you may want to work on that as well since that can cause some problems. As far as medication goes, I wouldn't recommend. My doctor tried to put me on an anti-spasm but I didn't take it because I would rather try relaxation and herbal supplements. I hope you get feeling better soon, and I hope what I said is somewhat useful to you.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
sineadannHiHere is some more info on that med the Dr. gave you:http://www.clinnovo.com/health/knowledge/drug/perenterol It doesn't look like it would make it worse at all. As you can see there it is given to treat diarrhea & ab pain. So I would definitely give it a try. At least that way you can report back to the Dr as to whether it helped you or not.Also have you seen the Linda's Calcium Thread at the top of this forum?? It talks about taking Calcium Carbonate to firm up one's BM's.There is also imodium which is an anti-diarrheal sold over the counter here in the US.Others have had great success using Hypnotherapy. (See our CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for loads more info about it.)Symptom management is possible. We are all different though & what works for one of us may not work for another of us. And it can take LOADS of trial & error to find what works for us.. but I find it is always worth the effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the good advice and the replies. I certainly found it all useful and will be trying things out. I started to take the perenterol last night and so far no diarrhoea today
That's a miracle in itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.