Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I ever had the twisting, knifing pain in my stomach is when I was 26 weeks pregnant with my last daughter (19 years ago). I thought she was going to die and the pain last for several hours. Then, my left side remained tender for a couple of days. At the time, I was the mother of 2 other girls (3 yrs and 19 months), so I forgot about it and went on with my life. For much of that time, there was intermittent pain (like once every 6 months). It wasn't until I quit smoking in 2004 that everything went to hell. I started bleeding, in constant pain and had these "attacks" about 1X per month. I went to a GI doctor and, after a sigmoidoscopy and biopsy, he diagnosed me with ulcerative proctitis. So I started using (and continue to use) Canasa suppositories. That helped with the bleeding, but not the constipation or the pain. So, back I went to tell the GI doctor that. He decided to do a colonoscopy. I followed the directions for the prep religiously, but nothing came out until the morning of the colonoscopy (sorry... I know that's probably TMI). The doctor was not able to view the entire colon because of this and, while I was still basically drugged out of my mind, he diagnosed me with IBS and handed me a prescription for Zelnorm. That actually kind of worked for the pain, bloating, but didn't do much for the constipation or the gas. When Zelnorm was taken off the market, he gave me a prescription for Miralax, which I still take. It does help with the constipation, but it DOESN'T help with the pain and bloating and gas. I've been under more stress at work lately and, though I'm lucky enough to work at home, I have to travel about 1X per month. I dread traveling because I cannot figure out beforehand whether it's going to cause everything to go nuts or what. I take handsful of Simethicone when traveling because I cannot sit around passing gas in a conference room with my client. This doesn't much help with the gas or bloating, but at least it does seem to stop it from being loud when I pass gas. This condition, whatever it is, has caused me a great deal of isolation. I don't really feel like I can talk to anyone and I know that my family sometimes gets annoyed that I suddenly can't go anywhere. Most of the time, I try to be a trooper and go to the store in pain and expecting to pass gas. But that just makes me feel even more embarrassed.I cannot figure out whether I should eat more fiber or less. I also have Type 2 Diabetes, so I use fiber to help slow the absorption of carbs. I did see a new doctor a couple of weeks ago. She seems to actually care about me, but we'll see. Had my second colonoscopy last Wed (Aug 25th) and the prep went much better. She took several biopsies, including 2 polyps, but there was no obvious inflammation indicating that the ulcerative proctitis had spread. Anyway, I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself. I will be nice to talk to people that know what I'm going through (my husband is VERY supportive, but I don't think he can conceive of being in as much pain as I'm in sometimes and then, 4 hours later, being fine).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.