Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.My name is Janelle , but I go by Nell. I am new here. I am 24 years old and have had stomach problems for as long as I can remember. I have also suffered from light to heavy anxiety most of my life. My mother has IBS and although I have not yet been diagnosed by a doctor�I do believe from all my symptoms that I do also have IBS.It has gotten progressively worse with age. I noticed about a year ago that my bloated had started getting really bad. I have not gained but maybe 5 pounds in 2 years but I have gone up to about 2 pant sizes due primarily because of my bloated stomach. I almost always feel full, and no matter how much I exercise or �diet� I cant lose it in my stomach�.further leading me to believe it is bloating.I also have been a ton more gassy on the past year or two. What seems to be my pattern is I am constipated for a few days and then will wake up and start to get ready for work and I am hit with horrible stomach spasms and they usually last on and off for all day. I can�t eat anything and my stomach becomes so bloated that I feel as though I am going to burst. My stool is usually just very soft and lighter in color. I rarely have full on Diarrhea .It seems like the past few weeks though , no matter what I eat or when I eat or how large the portions�I have stomach spasms each day and have loose stool. I haven�t had a �normal� bowl movement in a very long time.I have been having pains in my stomach lately and as I type this my stomach is very enlarged with bloating.I usually have nothing for breakfast, as I wake up and am not hungry as my stomach is bloated�..then have a few crackers and a bowl of chicken noodle soup and I do make sure to drain the liquid from it so that I do not get too much sodium and such. I then eat a light meal�. small portions�but not very healthy. Usually TV dinner or soup again. I am perplexed by my stomach though, because sometimes I can eat a couple pieces of pizza and not be affected and then other times I�ll eat the same kind of pizza a few minutes later I am in the bathroom in sever pain. I do restrict my splurges with �bad� food as I know there�s a chance I can be in pain and I have to be sure not to eat anything that could possibly upset my stomach days before I have something important to do�such as an eye doctor appoinment..etc. Because I know that I will have a very good chance of missing anything I have planned or being late because I am in the bathroom.I am in search of any and all info I can get on IBS. And , what I can do for it. I have printed off the information in this site and will read it over carefully. What I would like to know is if this does sound like IBS to you all who suffer it too �.. as I do feel that�s what I have.And , what would be a few important things I should do to control this and be able to live a somewhat �normal� life with it.I would like to be put on a medicine to control or cut back my stomach pains and the sever bloating. Would anyone be able to recommend a certain type?With me being only 24�. Would the regular doctor just take my word for it , listen to all my symptoms and be able to prescribe me a medication? See , I did notice that there are a lot of tests they can put you through but I do not want to have to wait months or weeks for them to decide this is what I have before I can get some meds for the pain. As its affecting my Dailey life to a point where its interfering with my work.I started suffering panic attacks about 2 years ago�and was treated with prozac off and on for those two years�I recently got off it�.about 3 weeks ago and am now taking nothing for the panic attacks as I seem to have them under control for the most part.I�d say what I want to accomplish the most is to get rid of this painful bloating and the painful spasms. Oh, and forget it�when I am on my period�the first day or two of it I am 100% worse off�.and NO MATTER what I do or do not eat � I have horrible stomach cramps to go along with my menstrual cramps and my IBS bloating to go along with my menstrual bloating . Not to mention that I am in the bathroom the majority of the week.I�m sorry this is sooo very long�.But I have come to my witts end with this and I do not know what to do and would like guidance on what I can do myself to stop this�I do not smoke�one year quit. I do drink Pepsi on a daily basis�should that stop?I know you all aren�t doctors and you cant diagnose me but any advice would be great.I do not have a family doctor so I am now researching my local doctors to see which one I want to go to. Would I just walk in and say I think this is what I have and give them my symptoms?Anyway, I do thank you all for your time and I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions.I am so thankful I found this site.NELLPSI am from the usa�Missouri to be exact.And , also one more thing. I have been losing a goodAmount of my hair and was wondering is that can be at allRelated to IBS?And , does a fiber supplement work in helping make youRegular and if so , what one would you recommend?

G

·
You have not mentioned "red flag" symptoms that are more common in things that are not IBS, so you pretty much sound like IBS.What tests will need to be run depend on the symptoms, your age, and your doctor's philosophy. There is some evidence that extensive testing tends to make IBSers worse and when there are no "red flag" symptoms some doctors generally do few tests rather than months of extensive testing. For medications generally the first thing tried tends to be antispasmodics. They also use serotonin effecting drugs either IBS specific (Lotronex for severe diarrhea predominate IBS and Zelnorm for constipation predominate IBS) or antidepressants. Just because one doesn't help the IBS doesn't mean another version (tricyclics are more commonly used that SSRI's like you were taking) might not work. They also use any number of antidiarrheals and osmotic laxative types of medications for stool consistancy issues. Various "mind-body" therapies are used as the nerves int he gut can be effected by the mind. The Hypnotherapy and CBT board on the main board list is a good place for info on that.Food IS NOT the only or even the main trigger for IBS symptoms. Some people are very food triggered, others are triggered by a whole slew of other things.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.