Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to this board and curious what meds I might get at my follow up appointment with my GI. I have IBS-C and sometimes D. I had a colonoscopy and blood work done which all came back normal so during a phone consult the doctor said I probably just have IBS. I don't go back until the 29th so I was just curious what meds they use for this. I also have anxiety and lots of stress. Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I tried dicetel for cramping which didn't work. From what I've read, maybe i didn't give it enough time though. My doctor put me on anti-depressants which sem to work ok. They of course don't stop the symptoms but help me anyway.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I tried dicetel for cramping which didn't work. From what I've read, maybe i didn't give it enough time though. My doctor put me on anti-depressants which sem to work ok. They of course don't stop the symptoms but help me anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
bscarter if you have anxiety then hynotherapy is good. It will help you deal better with your symptoms and that will help relieve them as stress is a big trigger.Depending on how badly you are suffering you may not need drugs which is good. You are predominately C and the D more than likely is caused by the C when the bowel kinda panics at a blockage and clears house. So your best treatment plan may be to get onto a fibre supplement and take it everyday at the same time. Just start on a low dosage and up it a liitle weekly until you are at a comfortable place. Stay off any drugs if you can as these can prevent your bowel returning to a normal function naturally.

·
Registered
143 Posts
bscarter if you have anxiety then hynotherapy is good. It will help you deal better with your symptoms and that will help relieve them as stress is a big trigger.Depending on how badly you are suffering you may not need drugs which is good. You are predominately C and the D more than likely is caused by the C when the bowel kinda panics at a blockage and clears house. So your best treatment plan may be to get onto a fibre supplement and take it everyday at the same time. Just start on a low dosage and up it a liitle weekly until you are at a comfortable place. Stay off any drugs if you can as these can prevent your bowel returning to a normal function naturally.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BScarter - glad to hear it's just IBS. I know you were worried about Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. Depending on the severity of IBS they might just suggest OTC meds, or maybe something like Nuvel. Taking Citrucel and/or Caltrate tablets may help to.Some people with anxiety are helped by taking Paxil or other anxiety meds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BScarter - glad to hear it's just IBS. I know you were worried about Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. Depending on the severity of IBS they might just suggest OTC meds, or maybe something like Nuvel. Taking Citrucel and/or Caltrate tablets may help to.Some people with anxiety are helped by taking Paxil or other anxiety meds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. This is my first post though I've visited this site a few times in the past. I got my IBS-C symptoms in 2002, and was formally diagnosed after all the usual tests in around January of this year. I had been advised to take Prodeum during the tests and whilst it helped a little, it wasn't that great.I was prescribed Dicetel finally, 300mg a day. I noticed a difference within a day or so. I have fairly regular bowel movements, though they're fairly frequent (up to 5 times a day), and very soft. The painful cramps and bloating subsided to a manageable level (though of course some days are worse than others), and the gas was reduced. Routine is important to me though. If there's a day where I might be unable to get to a bathroom, I'll stress about it beforehand and I am sure this does me no favours. And also, if I forget to take my pills one day (which happens sometimes!), I'll pay for it later. So I am a slave to Dicetel, nothing is perfect. But it's improved my life tenfold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. This is my first post though I've visited this site a few times in the past. I got my IBS-C symptoms in 2002, and was formally diagnosed after all the usual tests in around January of this year. I had been advised to take Prodeum during the tests and whilst it helped a little, it wasn't that great.I was prescribed Dicetel finally, 300mg a day. I noticed a difference within a day or so. I have fairly regular bowel movements, though they're fairly frequent (up to 5 times a day), and very soft. The painful cramps and bloating subsided to a manageable level (though of course some days are worse than others), and the gas was reduced. Routine is important to me though. If there's a day where I might be unable to get to a bathroom, I'll stress about it beforehand and I am sure this does me no favours. And also, if I forget to take my pills one day (which happens sometimes!), I'll pay for it later. So I am a slave to Dicetel, nothing is perfect. But it's improved my life tenfold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.