Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i'd to start off by saying I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything yet, but i've read a lot of this forum and it seems like there's some really insightful people on here that could maybe help me.For about a month now i've nothing but diaherra/soft stools, sometimes i'll go once in a day sometimes i'll go 4-5 times in a day with less and less coming out each time. I've also experienced some weight loss (about 5lbs) and I was having some lack of appetite, but that seems to have gotten better as i'm eating fine now. I should also mention that I believe I have pretty bad anxiety, especially when dealing with medical stuff...I kind of get obsessive and worry a lot. I first went to my family Dr. last week and she didn't really say much, and ordered blood test and a FOBT (occult blood test), but she also couldn't get me back in for 2 weeks and that wasn't good enough for me so a few days ago I sucked it up and headed to the ER. They asked me my symptoms and ordered some blood test and an X-ray, all came back normal which I am glad for obviously. The Dr. also asked me if I wanted to be referred for a Colonoscopy, which I agreed to (waiting on the call for an appointment). I'd like to also mention that I have only been having an upset stomach/the diaherra mostly in the mornings when I first wake up before I eat anything, which isn't really consistant with IBS-D (which I thought usually came on after eating...) i've also noticed when my stool isn't completely soft/watery it has been skinnier than normal which has obviously worried me about the big C word. I guess i'm just looking for some advice/comments on what could be going on.ThanksPS-Diaherra is nothing new for me...i've had stomach pains/cramps along with Diaherra for years, since around High School. I'll have a stomach ache, have diaherra and it will usually go away after that or a few more BM's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was diagnosed with IBS about a year and a half ago.I just wanted to mention that my morning upset stomach/bathroom issues start AS SOON as I wake up. Rarely does it wait until after I've eaten. I think it's actually quite common.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS-D can occur in the morning when you get up. It is pretty common.With IBS diarrhea (and also pain/cramping) often show up at the times when a normal human being's colon is more active.You are right that the colon is always more active in every human after every meal. However that is not the only thing that increases the activity.The increase in activity after meals is about 2 fold over the least active times.Around the time you get up the colon is 3 times more active (so even more active than it is after meals) than when it is "resting".Seeing as getting up time is also when the colon has it's biggest burst of activity that is often a time when IBSers get symptoms. The colon tends to be least active during sleep so that is why IBS often calms down during the night. It doesn't have to, but it often does.That thin stools mean cancer and only cancer is a medical myth. It has been around since the 1800's and often repeated but the guy that thought it sounded right didn't have any data that indicated that. No one has ever found data that indicates that stool width is changed by cancer. There is data to indicate that stool consistency effects stool width and some consistencies are likely to be thinner than others. There has been a recent paper in the medical literature debunking this myth but too many people have repeated it too many times for anyone to stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the informative responses, very much appreciated. I have an update today....I have officially had my first semi-normal BM in over a month today!!! About an hour after I woke up I had to go (with no stomach cramps at all!!!) It came out pretty formed, but it was still on the soft side, but it wasn't skinny at all it was actually pretty bulky (sorry for the details....just really happy!!! lol). I'll keep you guys/girls updated on how things go
.PS-The colour was a bit weird, it was kinda like....i'd say the colour of an oatmeal cookie (lol there's one in front of me and it was pretty close to that colour so why not)...not sure i that's normal? What colour is our poo susposed to be like? It was a lighter colour, maybe a tinge of red/sandy colour (not blood), but not dark.

·
Registered
312 Posts
hi blahman :(i used to suffer from horrible IBS-D but this is what i did to basically cure ithttp://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=112669in short eat lots of meat , eggs , unsalted butter , and low fiber , low carb vegetables like broccoli with the stems completely cut off and just eating the top flower partalso this way of eating must be followed 100% you cant go eating a bite of potato or a bite of bread or something not allowed because then it will mess things upyour body will mostly adapt to the diet in a few weeks and if your a body builder your muscles insulin receptors will adapt in 3-4 monthsafter your body has adapted to the diet you will feel great mostly just after a few weeks :)carbs + fat = stomach problemslow carbs 20 grams or so + fat = no stomach problemscod liver oil should help too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Ziggy. I might just try that diet out and see how it works out for me. I'm doing better....i've been eating no problem, gaining some weight back that I lost (which could've been due to stress for all I know) and for the past two days I haven't any pain for my BM, only had one per day and it wasn't really loose and more formed. Needless to say i'm pretty happy right now, hopefully it can stay like this for awhile

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen little black specks in their stool? For the past few days i've been having one BM a day and they have been pretty formed other than a few loose pieces, but i've noticed, especially today that I have little black specks on the toilet paper when I wipe? I'm not sure what this could be and it's freaking me out a bit.....I've been eating more Banana's lately, not sure if that would do anything, and I had some eggs with pepper on them yesterday so i'm not sure what's going on....Any help?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was a morning symptom getter. Just read an article on IBS sufferers and their abnormal sleep patterns. A study showed that IBS'ers have unusual REM cycles. Explains the vivid dreams I've always had.Light coloured stools after diarrhea is normal, just means they haven't spent much time in the gut. Black specks could be anything. You are obsessing. A normal but bad thing to do. It can make your IBS worse by leading you into more anxiety.Chilax.
If your test results are okay, especially the colonoscopy and bloods, stop checking out every bowel movement. You already have medical anxiety, this can only make it worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts