Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I just got so happy when I saw that there was an IBS forum.. I am basically at my wits end and could use any advice given. I am 25 years old and have had IBS since after high school.. but ever since I had my son (a year ago) its been unbearable and basically is ruining my life. I can't eat anything without instantly having to use the bathroom. I keep losing weight and even have stopped getting my period (I'm assuming from the weight loss). I've gotten every test there is and they just tell me its IBS and to eat certain foods, but when I stay away from all the trigger foods.. Im still getting sick. I can't go out to eat ever because I always get sick and its so embarrassing. I quit college because of it and that's just one thing that it has effected. If I was just having to run to the bathroom every time I eat, I think I could deal with it... but its the stomach noises thats really embarrassing. I won't sit in silent rooms with other people because my stomach is non stop. I don't know what it is.. gas or nerves? But its sooo loud! Every time I go to the gastro they set me up for tests right away with out even letting my explain things to them. So finally I talked to my boss (I work for an Endocrinologist) and he suggested just talking to my PCP, because hes a really well known and good doctor. So I did...He put me on lexapro and asked me to do some stool tests (which no gastro ever ordered). I took the lexapro for a week and had awful side effects. I was constipated and at the same time had to do the stool test so yeah.. it wasnt really working out lol. It was making me super tired and with a one year old son.. I really can't be exhausted all of the time. Also, I'm no depressed.. I have some anxiety issues but not enough where I think I need to take something. So anyways, I went for the tests and called today and only the bloodwork is back. But according to the ranges.. I am like super anemic. My Ferritin is at a 4 and my IRON BIND TIBC is 472. I can't take supplements though because I get nauseous and constipated. I really feel like I can't live a normal life. I can't eat dinner over anyones house but my own. I barely go out to eat... and at work I don't eat because I dont want to get sick. No one really gets it... so I'm here to try and talk and vent to other people who have it and understand. I'm sorry that was just so long but I really can't take this anymore... I wish it would just go away

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Welcome Glad you found us but sorry you had to.A few things struck me about your post:
but when I stay away from all the trigger foods.. Im still getting sick.
So maybe this means you do not have many food triggers. For you (and many, many others) there ARE other triggers besides food. IBS is not always about food. (It isn't always WHAT we ate.. it is THAT we ate.)Other triggers could be stress (even positive stress) temperatures (either extreme warmth or cold), hormones etc>>>> And we can't always have control over some of those triggers. So I have learned I need to just focus on managing the symptoms.Also just fyi skipping meals can make D worse. IBS guts like to be busy. So eating several smaller meals throughout the day may be better than just 3 big meals. But not eating always made my D even more vicious. So I would try to cut out skipping meals.What have you tried to manage your symptoms?For some folks breaking an imodiumn into halves or quarters and taking it with EACH meal helps. Calcium Carbonate has helped firm up D for others. If you need iron supplements you may need to take them, but use a stool softener with them. (or have a small glass of prune juice or a prune or two) Try different combos of things on and see what works for you. All of us are different and everyone unfortunately needs to go throught ye old trial & error on their own. So try some things or combinations of things and I am sure you will eventually find something that works for you.All the best

1 - 2 of 2 Posts