Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am so glad I found something like this. For the past year I have been suffering with IBS-D and it's really killing me. Every time I have to go to work in the morning it's so hard for me to just get out without having to go to the bathroom at least three times before I leave the house (and two immodiums later). I live on immodium and would not dare to go anywhere without it. I went for a colonoscopy this past july and he found nothing out of the ordinary and wanted me to eat more fiber. Gee that didn't help at all. Can anyone tell me what medication is out there to help me live a normal life and not have to worry about if I am going to make it to work and make it all day at work without an attack. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Palie Dee, I've been struggling with this for about 6 months, now. Havent said a word to anyone....I just hoped it would pass(no pun intended). Last night my belly gave me hell all night and I must have made 20 trips to the bathroom. Enough, Ive had a gutful of this, so this morning I went to see my local chemist and just explained my problem. He has given me some Loperamide Hydrochloride capsules (to be used sparingly). Plus a a bottle of dietary supplement capsules called IBS SUPPORT. He was very confident that it would help and he wants an update on my condition. I've only started today so I can't reccommend at this stage. For info www.ethicalnutrients.com.au I'm new to all this and I never get sick and to think I have IBS just freaks me out. I think that's why I had this attitude, that it would all just go away. Talk about' Having your head in the sand'.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ian;Did you not have any testing? blood work? stool sample? Are your symptoms mainly at night, because that is not generally classic of IBS, as the colon rests in the night. It's not a good idea to just start taking meds if you haven't seen your doctor to eliminate possible other sources first.Palie Dee;You described my mornings! The hard part is, you're trying to make it to work on time, and that's stressful because you just know you'll have to go to the bathroom one more time, huh?! Have you ever tried taking 2 imodium before you go to bed at night? Sometimes that helps bulk things up for morning. Do you have cramping along with the diarrhea?There is alot of threads on here for different treatment options. Do lots of reading. If you put things in the search option, you'll get previous postings you can read. Each treatment is different and what works for one, may not work for another. Welcome to the board! Good luck and hope you get some answers on here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jannybitt, It's just after 4pm dowm here and I've had the stomach pains all day along with the diarrhoea. It's been something of a concern and puzzle to me for about 6 months now. Because it comes and goes. When I went into the chemist this morning, he seemed to know what I was on about. (I didn't). The only meds he gave me was something to clear up the diarrhhoea.Hard core meds have to have a prescription by a doctor in Australia. He also gave me a dietary supplement that assists in the management of IBS. I jumped on to this site www.ethicalnutrients.com.au and it describes to a tee, what I have.(the mystical symptoms that seem to come & go). If nothing changes, I will be off to see my Doc. So far I've noticed that anything at all sets it off. Going for a walk to having a glass of beer to eating a meal. Like I said,this whole thing came from no where and it would come & go.....very strange,indeed.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Palie: I am one of the lucky ones. My mornings were always like you describe for 10 long years. I have been using a flavonoid supplement made to control cholesterol for many years, now. With that, my bowels have been little more than an inconvenience since the end of 1999. Read around the Board. There are lots of approaches that you can try. You just don't know where your relief will come from.Mark

·
Registered
613 Posts
WELCOME Palie Dee!!Nice to have you here! The medication that im on is Colofac and Calcium, which works pretty well for me! medication is such an individual thing, different things work for different people. Its best to speak to your doc about it and figure out what works best for you. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better!IAN: Its good to have you on and to have another Aussie to talk to! Let me know how the IBS SUPPORT goes for you because Im still deciding whether to give it a go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.