Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new here...just realize i have IBS. i am 22 and i can remember this problem starting in grade school. its getting worse as i get older. it was really bad in college 2 years ago. anytime i had a test, a date, a social event coming up...i would get anxiety and then next the cramping and then D. i was taking pepto all the time. (i didnt know about imodium unitl today)it went away when i got pregnant and now i have a 9 month old...and suddenly all IBS symptoms are back. right now i am very stressed with money, finances, boyfriend relationship and a high needs baby, and suddenly am having D attacks 3 times a week. and the stomach pain really is a nuissance when i have to care for a baby. usually i have to lay down and relax in order for the cramps to go away...now i am seeing a lot of talk about imodium, i may start that.also, i have read about lomotil, is that better in anyway?would changing my diet help..i am thinking it wont really, since my D comes on with stress and anxiety.also, would an anti spasm med be a good idea? i still need to see the doc.i was also thinking about xanax for anxiety?any other advice/suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The best thing you can do first is to see your doctor so you can be properly diagnosed. You have the symptoms of IBS, but it can be other things also. If you do have IBS, then your doctor can help figure out which would be a good antispasmodic for you when you get the cramping.Stress doesn't cause IBS, but stress can sure bring on the symptoms. There's alot of good info. on here, but your first step is to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey. Welcome. Sorry to hear you've struggled for so long, but I certainly know that feeling. I would have to agree that it is usually best to go to the doctor and discuss with him/her the best treatment program for you. As you will see here, there are many different things that help for many different people, but nothing works the same for everyone. However, I do know that stress and IBS are unquestionably connected. Anti-anxiety/mood stabilizers have helped me, and they might be a good option for you. As for the other questions, I tend to stay away from all of the over the counter stomach meds because they are intended to be used on a rare occasion and when used on a regular basis can cause serious stomach damage. I prefer natural methods because my body has enough problems on its own and I don't want to hurt it with serious chemicals.. Calcium, and avoiding high sugar and fried foods has worked best for me. Good luck to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.