Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 24 years old. Today I found out for a concrete fact that I have IBS, and acid reflux possibly caused by a hiatal hernia. I had to get an esophageal endoscopy and a colonoscopy today. I was supposed to a few years ago, but I was hanging out with my friend who has Crohn's disease and when he saw my bottle of magnesium sulfate he freaked out and said he couldn't be in the room while I drank it because it would bring back too many bad memories. I couldn't force myself to drink it, either. I had to once before. A few years ago I was on Trazadone for my insomnia (my diagnosis smorgasboard also includes PTSD, major depression, endometriosis, a fibroid, recurrent large single ovarian cysts, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis/impingement/tendinopathy of my left shoulder, and messed up knees and a messed up hip. And that's just the beginning.) The Trazadone gave me impaction. I could not go to the bathroom for 2 weeks. Milk of magnesia didn't work, so that's when I had to have the drink of horrors. But fortunately during my prep this time the nurse let me take 4 extra Dulcolax pills instead of having to drink that horrible stuff again.When I was in middle school I had an upper GI with small bowel follow-through. It took 6 hours!
They wouldn't let me leave until it went all the way through my system. At that time they said I had a slow-moving digestive tract. Then when there wre commercials for Zelnorm, I heard them use that same phrase and I knew that even back then they knew I had IBS-Chronic-C.Over the past few years, things have gotten more interesting. Sometimes after going to the bathroom, my toilet paper would be completely red and I would be scared and think I was having my period (I'm on Seasonale because my periods are so bad, the doctor wants me to have as few as possible.) A few months ago I went to the doctor because something really scary happened. I heard a noise like someone poured a water balloon in the toilet and when I looked down the entire toilet was full of blood and when I stood up, it got on the toilet seat, and when I was cleaning myself off I noticed the back of my legs were wet. Well, there was blood on them too. So I went to my doctor's walk-in clinic and they said I had hemmerhoids. They gave me this steroid cream and they basically went away. . .or so I thought.The bleeding episodes happened on and off a few times, and then a few weeks ago it got even worse. It happened twice in one day, which has never happened to me before. Then I was up all night, in such severe pain I was doubled over hugging a pillow and then it got so bad that I threw up at 6 AM. So I went to the ER. This time they said I had an anal fissure, and not a hemmerhoid. I looked up fissures and it said they are often confused with hemmerhoids so I wonder if that was what was wrong with me all along?Well anyway my GP ordered a CT scan and that's when I found out about my fibroid, and an ovarian cyst, and another ovarian cyst that had ruptured and had caused fluid to leak into my pelvis. I'm guessing the rupture is what happened that day I had to go to the ER in severe pain- I had a really big one before that they had to drain and remove the rest of during my endo surgery, and when that ruptured it was some of the worst pain of my life.Anyway, I wish that the gastroenterologist hadn't told me my results today in front of my grandmother. I've seen people say they get frustrated and I'm definitely in that boat. She kept telling me to do things I've already been doing for years. I have not drunk any orange juice in years. My grandmother herself says she knows I don't eat fried or spicy food. There are a lot of raw fruits and vegetables I can't eat because they make me throw up. I try to avoid dairy. I take Miralax when I need to. I've been taking a stool softener every day for years after the Trazadone incident. I try to exercise when I can, but it seems like I always get hurt. Like last year I couldn't do situps for 8 weeks because I tore my rectus abdominus muscle trying to use my Bender Ball DVD. I'm not supposed to lift my shoulder overhead. And my apartment complex is huge- 26 buildings, but the laundry room only has one treadmill, and one exercise bike (which I can't use because of my knee problems.) But my grandmother kept nagging at me to exercise, saying "Just get up and do it" without understanding how terrible my pain and fatigue are. Sometimes I have to lie in bed for 2 hours before I can go to the bathroom. No matter how much energy I previously had that day, if I'm going to use the bathroom that day then the pain, dizziness, lightheadedness and everything hit me like a ton of bricks. The gastroenterologist even said I had "Very severe" IBS. I've been worried about trying to find a job. My old therapist told me to apply for disability, mainly because of the mental illness but of course they denied me. The doctor even agreed with me today when I said if I did get a job I'd probably get fired because nobody is going to let me just take a 2 hour break or put up with me being sick several days out of the week. He also said that a job would probably make stress worse, but my grandmother was still saying "He told you to make lifestyle changes so why don't you just get up and do it?"I've been trying. I have pretty much memorized the acid reflux and IBS no-food list and when I started telling my grandmother I already follow the diet, in addition to saying she hasn't seen me eat fried or spicy food she also said she doesn't see me eat a lot of citrus. The doctor mentioned fiber cereal and we said "Fiber one" in unison. Before that I'd eat other cereals that were marked as having high fiber and I'd mix them with raisins.As for the exercise thing, my GP even said I have a lot of muscle tone. Even though I'm overweight right now, based on measurements and online tests my body fat is around 26%, which is a little high but appropriate for a female. And the only reason I am overweight is because my doctor wouldn't listen to me about Flexeril making me gain weight, and over about 6-8 months I ended up gaining 20 pounds so I'm right back where I started. A few years ago I gained 30 pounds in 6 months from being on Pamelor, but I lost it all and I kept it off for 2 years. But my doctor didn't believe me about the Flexeril and said I was eating too much or something and I don't understand how she could think that when I stayed on the same diet so I wouldn't gain the weight back. Someone in a fibromyalgia community told me to ask her about Soma, so I did and she switched me to it in October. I have lost 12 pounds since then. I only have 15 more to go before I will be a normal weight again (but it's kind of hard because I'm 4'11", and also since a lot of my weight is muscle it takes me longer to lose weight than most people. Sometimes no matter what I do, my weight will plateau for months.)My grandmother also lectured me and told me to "Stop being stressed out and worrying about things." as if I can actually control it. I'm not anxious all the time, but sometimes I do have panic attacks or my PTSD gets triggered and those things happen automatically. I just don't know what to do and was wondering how people dealt with these kinds of situations.Sorry this got so long. If anyone read it all, here is a high-5 for you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.